Pilgrim Geese thread

I saw what I think was Asa and Sally being "romantic". They are just about 9 months old. I am wondering when I should expect Sally may start laying and do I need to make my special set up for her in their coop?
Give her lots of soft bedding she'll do the rest. I don't have Pilgrims but what usually happens here is once mating starts eggs can follow 2-4 weeks later.

Ok, so my 4 extra ganders' fates are sealed. 1 will be processed because he has angel wing and we don't know if it's hereditary or if he just got too much protein when he was young. The other 3 are going to a swap on Valenheart Day to hopefully get new homes as pets. That will leave me with 2 pairs. They will be 1 year old this spring so we'll see if we get any fertile eggs from them. Not holding my breath on that.
Sounds like you have a good plan with your extra ganders and while I can't say about hereditary angel wing I do believe it can be caused by hi protein intake.One of our pilgrim geese , Frega , turned up with angel wing in her left wing when she was young. That is when my wife found this fantastic video on how to cure the problem. I thought maybe you and others might be interested in case you had a young bird you wanted to save in the future. Good luck at the swap meet. I wish we had those in Montana. I miss them.
Here are the links :
High Speed connections
http://www.phillipsmediaservic...m/anglewinghispd.wmv
Dial-up connections
http://www.phillipsmediaservices.com/anglewing56k.wmv

That is an excellent video. The wife did something very similar and fixed one of our geese when he was younger. We had several that had the droopy wing thing going on but we got that corrected by changing their food. This last one has a mild case of angel wing but because of it, he has been chosen to be dinner.

We got some snow. The geese say NO problem. One poor EE hen was trying to hop from snow covered perch to snow covered perch to avoid the snow covered ground. She touched more snow than if she'd just used the path from coop to feeder! That was before the geese decided it was their breakfast time, with their token pet ducks. PoPo eats with the sheep, grudgingly. : )

We got some snow. The geese say NO problem. One poor EE hen was trying to hop from snow covered perch to snow covered perch to avoid the snow covered ground. She touched more snow than if she'd just used the path from coop to feeder! That was before the geese decided it was their breakfast time, with their token pet ducks. PoPo eats with the sheep, grudgingly. : )
They actually think the ducks are their pets? mine think the ducks and chickens are their enemies.

More like bratty little siblings. If a chicken or cat gets too close a goose head might poke them for fun but not much more than that. That may change, 2 of the geese are coming 2yo and the rest are just coming 1yo. Maybe they'll get crankier as they age. They've got to be relatively flexible since I use dogs to move them sometimes. : ) I make it worth their while, when they get where we're going there is a treat waiting. I wanted Pilgrims because they were mild mannered. I don't deal well with being chased! : )

More like bratty little siblings. If a chicken or cat gets too close a goose head might poke them for fun but not much more than that. That may change, 2 of the geese are coming 2yo and the rest are just coming 1yo. Maybe they'll get crankier as they age. They've got to be relatively flexible since I use dogs to move them sometimes. : ) I make it worth their while, when they get where we're going there is a treat waiting. I wanted Pilgrims because they were mild mannered. I don't deal well with being chased! : )
I have not met too many mild mannered ganders during mating season lets hear how yours are once mating gets under way.
lol.png
I don't let any one chase me I do the chasing keeps them on their toes when they think they can bite.
wink.png

My young gander hissed at me today for the first time ever. Must be getting ready for mating season.
I bet that's it, it starts that way, we went through that about a month ago now it's I will try to bite you if I can
roll.png
I see you are getting rid of your water fowl sure wish I could take the Pilgrims They are one of my favorites. Actually I was looking for someone on the goose thread I could send your way but only person I could think of was only wanting one. She lives in Va.

Last edited:
I have someone bringing me peas for the anconas. She may also have someone for the pilgrims & the trio of slates. Just leaves the pair of calls if she takes everything else.

Back
Top Bottom