Pilgrim Geese thread

A seller from the Pilgrim's Breeder page on Facebook. I have no idea what his name is. I have never been on Facebook. GAM found him and bought the eggs for me.
Cool. I think I know who it is. Always on the lookout for different blood! But have enough for this year at least. Hope the eggs come through safe and sound and you have a great hatch!!!
clap.gif

Thanks. Of course now GAM has me second guessing myself... She seems to think I bought a turner last year for goose eggs because they are supposed to lie on their sides during incubation which kinda makes sense considering how they lie in the nest under mama. But I thought I just got a goose specific turner because they're so much larger than chicken eggs but would still be incubated air cell up. Which is it? I gotta figure this out before they get here. This will just be our second season of hatching geese. I hate it when I start over thinking things.

Thanks. Of course now GAM has me second guessing myself... She seems to think I bought a turner last year for goose eggs because they are supposed to lie on their sides during incubation which kinda makes sense considering how they lie in the nest under mama. But I thought I just got a goose specific turner because they're so much larger than chicken eggs but would still be incubated air cell up. Which is it? I gotta figure this out before they get here. This will just be our second season of hatching geese. I hate it when I start over thinking things.
A very good read https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-breeding-incubating-hatching-and-rearing

Ok so we got rid of the 3 ganders so we would have 2 pairs to breed. Wouldn't you know the girls decided on making a trio and leaving one of the ganders out in the cold? On a brighter note I just witnessed a breeding session out in the middle of the pond. They might have done it already bur it's the first confirmed sighting.

OK, so Pilgrims are not for the faint of heart!! Yesterday I had a young female gone without a trace. Looked everywhere but chalked it up to predator of some sort even though there was no real evidence. Would an adult bald eagle be able to take a full grown goose? So this morning *6* of my geese are gone without a trace!! They were here at midnight, but at 8:30a there wasn't a trace of them anywhere. I checked my whole 20 acres, the neighbors 20 w/4acre pond, nothing. Completely heartbroken because it was my 6 best/favorites! It wasn't just that I couldn't find them, I couldn't *hear* them, even when one of the 2 remaining called there was no response. That's not good!

I text a couple neighbors with ponds, both at least 1/4-1/2 mile away through trees, across creeks, and a paved road. One says to check the other because they'd been there last week! What???? So I check Yep, they'd been there that morning on the pond but now she couldn't see them. Figured they were around somewhere. So I'm trying to figure out how to go get them when I see a big pickup slow way down just past my drive. Go to look and yep, there they were coming home down the road after their morning dip in the neighbors pond across the road, and down a 1/4 mile driveway! Quite the little adventurers! And the missing girl from yesterday is there too!! I had no idea they were exploring the county. Geez!!!! I didn't really want them knowing about all the nice ponds the neighbors have, I'm the only one without a real one so they're going to have to rough it with their kiddy pools for a while while I work on that!

At least they came home. I couldn't believe a predator could take all of them, or a thief, without some sort of ruckus going up. They're back in their time out pen again. They pretty much looked at me, looked at each other, and marched themselves to it. Smart little beasts! And very clean!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom