Pilgrim Geese thread

Out of the 13 eggs in Nimbo's nest this year 5 of the eggs were duds apparently from day one. When I cracked them they were liquid, no development at all. I was told one or two out of the 6 I sold hatched in an incubator and the first egg she laid was fertile. So total, its half that were fertile from all the eggs she laid.

I have the pen next to my room window so I can hear them when they are locked up and they spent most of the breeding season in the front yard because the grass there was growing so well. I really should have seen or heard something more then I did.

I am still pondering how my boy Cirrus would do. I really would like to get another girl if its doable. Eventually I could get another gander if the trio didn't work. Preferably though if he couldn't handle another girl I would stick with what I have. Having one pair is better for my set up then two pairs. I can do two pairs, its just a hassle.
Maybe it´s just your gander, then. If you got another pair it may not be the same. Why would two pairs be hassle? I´m not knocking, I just don´t know what your set-up is, and I find Pilgrims are easy to keep a few pairs. They squabble the tiniest bit, get it sorted, and then get on with it. But of course, it´s down to you. I´ve just related what I´ve found to be the case here.
big_smile.png

My night time goose pen is sort of difficult to section off. Low ceiling and it has to be back and front sectioned, not side by side. Just the way the pen is. I have done it in the past when I had two pairs but the larger gander was a bit of a bully. During the day I am not concerned because they would have plenty of space to get away from each other if a fight did happen. What is the likelihood two Pilgrim ganders would fight if locked in with their girls at night during breeding season? Its just at night I am concerned about. All birds here must be secure here at night because of a large number of predators. (Raccoons, mountain lion, bear, coyotes, owls, and more).

My night time goose pen is sort of difficult to section off. Low ceiling and it has to be back and front sectioned, not side by side. Just the way the pen is. I have done it in the past when I had two pairs but the larger gander was a bit of a bully. During the day I am not concerned because they would have plenty of space to get away from each other if a fight did happen. What is the likelihood two Pilgrim ganders would fight if locked in with their girls at night during breeding season? Its just at night I am concerned about. All birds here must be secure here at night because of a large number of predators. (Raccoons, mountain lion, bear, coyotes, owls, and more).
Oh, I see. No, that´d be tricky. It may even be tricky for two geese to set comfortably there. Sisters will often sit together, but none-related geese may not want to share a confined place.
I assume your geese have a nice pool for breeding? Was it their first year? (sorry, can´t remember, you may have already said) Other than this, I have no ideas.

There is plenty of space in there. I have a couple of extra large dog houses in it as well as a blue kiddie pool and still plenty of floor space. Its mostly the door and ceiling that make it a hassle. I have to stoop low to go in and because of the door it has to be divided into a front back otherwise I loose to much floor space. There is another pool in the garden and another in the duck pen, so water is not the issue. Plenty of space just not well done. And yes, it was my Pilgrims first year. Perhaps my boy is just not so hormonal?

There is plenty of space in there. I have a couple of extra large dog houses in it as well as a blue kiddie pool and still plenty of floor space. Its mostly the door and ceiling that make it a hassle. I have to stoop low to go in and because of the door it has to be divided into a front back otherwise I loose to much floor space. There is another pool in the garden and another in the duck pen, so water is not the issue. Plenty of space just not well done. And yes, it was my Pilgrims first year. Perhaps my boy is just not so hormonal?
Well, why not give them another go? Geese are notorious for not being too fertile the first year. I don´t even breed my first-year females, and some say the three-year-olds are the best breeders, so maybe the next years will be better. In fact, that she actually hatched some goslings, she didn´t do too badly if she´s a first-timer.
I reckon they may do better next year.

I am looking forward to pictures! I love the saddleback look and might have gone with the Shetland geese if I could have found them. At the time I got mine I had been looking for either the Shetlands or Pilgrims. Pilgrims turned out to be easy to find in my area. There are at least 3 people that had them in driving distance. I have yet to see any saddleback patterned geese in my area though, Shetlands or others. I hope you get lots of nice babies.
I hope they get lots of goslings too, especially the experimental ones (pilgrim with saddleback auto-sexing) and the pied with the saddlebacks. Shame you couldn´t get saddleback auto-sexings where you are. I found mine by accident, and I´m really chuffed.
They´re getting in the mood now...more activity each day. It´ll be interesting to see what results. I´ve been busy putting the established pairs in 30' sq breeding pens and I´m leaving the new females and the year-old males to sort themselves out to see who´ll pair off with who. They´ll stay free-range for a bit.
I bought a paddling pool today for the ones in the pens to breed. It´s 400litre size (no idea what that is in gallons), so they´re enjoying it.Fun all round so far!
big_smile.png

This is one of those "never happens near me" kinda things.... AARRGHH!!

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/grd/4465842692.html

So I must be very lucky...a local lady here has 4 goslings(2 of each) so two pairs, giving them to me free! She is bringing them on Friday to check out and approve their new home.

My first time with raising geese. I am very excited. I wanted to order online but everyone was sold out. I just got luck with her post on craigslist. Love reading all the info here.

When will it be safe to move them out into a shelter. They are 5-6weeks old. Just feathering now. Will post pics once they get here
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom