Pilgrim Geese thread

Well, I've had my geese now for a couple of months, and they're getting pretty big! No one warned me how charming they would be! Whenever they see me coming the run right over and talk to me, follow me around the yard, and generally just go out of their way to be wherever I am, whether or not I have anything for them. I'm absolutely enamored.
They are a blessing to have even when they are ornery.

Keeping them separated during the day is not a problem. We put up a second pen last summer when we were thinking about getting drakes for the ducks so that we could separate the flocks by breed. We just hadn't gated it yet. That was done last night. George has been sleeping with the adult ducks for about 2 weeks now without incident. He is a little pushy with them at times during the day but never mean. He just gets excited and likes to chase them around the yard (kind of like we do when we round them up at night). I am not worried about the ducks, they actually adjusted to the ducklings faster than I thought. Maybe because they already had to adjust to George. My adult Khakis & Cayugas are about a month apart in age (we lost the first Cayugas to illness and immediately replaced them). There was a lot of back and forth when they were introduced to each other and they weren't really one flock until after their first winter together. This time it only took a couple of days before they quit testing boundaries and started ignoring each other. George was just being George and claiming ownership of everything like a 2 year old. (I brought out tomato out to them one day, and George tried to lay claim to each piece I tossed even though he doesn't even like tomatoes). The ducklings were a little more skittish around him, but everyone was coexisting well. As far as the food and water go, they were sharing, George would just shove his way to the front of the line if it suited him. He eats or drinks his fill, and then wanders off. Caligula's death was a huge surprise. I actually wonder if it wasn't the fact that we had two pools that day that was the instigator. Our older pool had sprung a leak that morning and we weren't sure if it would hold water all day (but if we dump it, the ducks see that as an opportunity to dig a giant hole) so we filled the replacement pool as well and planned on tossing the old one after everything was emptied that night. Part of me thinks that the with the two pool situation, the babies (or at least Caligula) got used to having all day uninterrupted pool access and George suddenly decided it was his. That maybe Caligula didn't leave and George took things too far.

As for Martha, George seems to be interested in her (or at least curious). I think that he recognizes that they are the same species. She just ignores him. I think part of it is the size difference, but that is getting smaller each day as Martha is now bigger than the ducks. That is why I thought penning them up together for at least part of the day might be a good idea. At some point they will all need to be in the shed together unless there is a way to winter the geese outside and even then, George and Martha will need to coexist. We will of course keep the Geese completely separate from the ducks during breeding season, we don't want any issues with anyone being aggressive toward each other or toward any babies we may let them hatch.

Keeping them separated during the day is not a problem. We put up a second pen last summer when we were thinking about getting drakes for the ducks so that we could separate the flocks by breed. We just hadn't gated it yet. That was done last night. George has been sleeping with the adult ducks for about 2 weeks now without incident. He is a little pushy with them at times during the day but never mean. He just gets excited and likes to chase them around the yard (kind of like we do when we round them up at night). I am not worried about the ducks, they actually adjusted to the ducklings faster than I thought. Maybe because they already had to adjust to George. My adult Khakis & Cayugas are about a month apart in age (we lost the first Cayugas to illness and immediately replaced them). There was a lot of back and forth when they were introduced to each other and they weren't really one flock until after their first winter together. This time it only took a couple of days before they quit testing boundaries and started ignoring each other. George was just being George and claiming ownership of everything like a 2 year old. (I brought out tomato out to them one day, and George tried to lay claim to each piece I tossed even though he doesn't even like tomatoes). The ducklings were a little more skittish around him, but everyone was coexisting well. As far as the food and water go, they were sharing, George would just shove his way to the front of the line if it suited him. He eats or drinks his fill, and then wanders off. Caligula's death was a huge surprise. I actually wonder if it wasn't the fact that we had two pools that day that was the instigator. Our older pool had sprung a leak that morning and we weren't sure if it would hold water all day (but if we dump it, the ducks see that as an opportunity to dig a giant hole) so we filled the replacement pool as well and planned on tossing the old one after everything was emptied that night. Part of me thinks that the with the two pool situation, the babies (or at least Caligula) got used to having all day uninterrupted pool access and George suddenly decided it was his. That maybe Caligula didn't leave and George took things too far.

As for Martha, George seems to be interested in her (or at least curious). I think that he recognizes that they are the same species. She just ignores him. I think part of it is the size difference, but that is getting smaller each day as Martha is now bigger than the ducks. That is why I thought penning them up together for at least part of the day might be a good idea. At some point they will all need to be in the shed together unless there is a way to winter the geese outside and even then, George and Martha will need to coexist. We will of course keep the Geese completely separate from the ducks during breeding season, we don't want any issues with anyone being aggressive toward each other or toward any babies we may let them hatch.
You do what you think is best for your situation, All I can say is I would not house my geese over night with my ducks no matter the time of year. I wish you the best in figuring it all out.

So, what would you suggest for housing if we house them separately? I can't afford to to go out and spend several hundred or more on another shed. The plan for next spring was to have a large doghouse or other shelter for them to nest in separate from the ducks. Can I use a setup like this for in the winter?

So, what would you suggest for housing if we house them separately? I can't afford to to go out and spend several hundred or more on another shed. The plan for next spring was to have a large doghouse or other shelter for them to nest in separate from the ducks. Can I use a setup like this for in the winter?
They can sleep in a 3 sided shelter as long as your pen around them is secure top bottom and sides. They are cold hardy but not sure if they would get into a dog house they couldn't stand up in. If you can't make the pen secure then they will need to be locked inside something but doors can be added to dog houses. Ventilation is also important when housing inside over night. In the book of geese by Dave Holdrerread he shows a pic of a 3 sided shelter .This is what he says Geese are more inclined to enter buildings if the roof is not too low so walls need to be at least 4 feet high 3 solid walls and an open or wire covered front is advantageous Geese fair poorly if forced to stay in stuffy damp quarters so good ventilation is essential even in cold weather A wire or netting floor can be installed to keep rodents from digging under and keep out digging predators, Place the shed on a slope or build the floor 12 inches above ground level to ensure good drainage if geese are housed over night allow 71/2 to 10 sq feet of floor space per bird In regions with harsh winters a partially closed front is best. Sounds simple enough main thing is they are kept safe from preds and can be protected from harsh weather. I have 4 geese in a 77"long by 52"wide by 81" high house. almost all donated materials. even the windows. Start asking around friends, family may have stuff just laying around they want to be rid of, even the metal roofing was a donation from a friend.

My houses all have wood floors that we put cheap vinyl over to protect. works great.

Last edited:
My geese spent all last winter in an open topped fence with a 3 sided shelter they had to duck slightly to get into. It was about 2 feet high & they were fine with it. If they can walk in without lowering anything but their head then they go right in. My geese have been completely free range for the past month. They like the goat's 50 gallon blue barrel house if the weather gets nasty & will squeeze in beside her. Otherwise they just sleep out in the grass. I could easily catch them & put them in each night, but they like the yard, so I don't argue with them.

So they have been sleeping outside without a shelter fine? I' m looking at letting them live free ranging except for winter, and I have been looking to see if anyone has been successful doing it. Does that make sense?

So they have been sleeping outside without a shelter fine? I' m looking at letting them live free ranging except for winter, and I have been looking to see if anyone has been successful doing it. Does that make sense?

Yep, that's what mine are doing. I'll probably pen them for winter & breeding season & turn them out again for summer & fall like I did this year. They have access to several sheltered areas & really stay pretty close to the other birds & goats. Mine are spoiled & know who hands out the corn so they stay close...lol

Yep, that's what mine are doing. I'll probably pen them for winter & breeding season & turn them out again for summer & fall like I did this year. They have access to several sheltered areas & really stay pretty close to the other birds & goats. Mine are spoiled & know who hands out the corn so they stay close...lol
What about predators how do you keep them away?

Yep, that's what mine are doing. I'll probably pen them for winter

What about predators how do you keep them away?

Raccoon, opossum, snakes, hawks & such don't tend to mess too mu h with adult geese so my only actual concern would be fox & coyote in my area. My geese are fairly close to the house & surrounded by horned goats. All windows are open during free range season so I hear problems pretty quick. Haven't had any issues so far.

If they have babies that's different. All of the predators I mentioned are a danger to goslings which is why they are penned during breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom