Pilgrim Geese thread

I have made several posts in the last few days since joining BYC but until I saw the picture of Asa and Sally just now it hadn't occurred to me that I had not introduced our Pilgrim family even though I used them as our avatar. So , though I rudely neglected good etiquette , may I present from left to right Nana (Nauna) , Odin , Hretha , Friga and Sfjorna ? In this picture they are about 100 yards from the barn in the sainfoin / clover / alfalfa / orchardgrass meadow with a beautiful view of the Swan mountains in the distance. Not sure they notice the view but they do love the sainfoin.

I have made several posts in the last few days since joining BYC but until I saw the picture of Asa and Sally just now it hadn't occurred to me that I had not introduced our Pilgrim family even though I used them as our avatar. So , though I rudely neglected good etiquette , may I present from left to right Nana (Nauna) , Odin , Hretha , Friga and Sfjorna ? In this picture they are about 100 yards from the barn in the sainfoin / clover / alfalfa / orchardgrass meadow with a beautiful view of the Swan mountains in the distance. Not sure they notice the view but they do love the sainfoin.
What a gorgeous pic. what is sainfoin? a type of grass?

Beautiful pic.

What a gorgeous pic. what is sainfoin? a type of grass?
Sainfoin (French - Healthy Hay) Lat. ( Onobrichus vicifolia ) also known as Esparcette in some parts of northern Europe is a deep rooted , non- bloating legume that has several qualities that make it good replacement for alfalfa in neutral to highly alkaline soils. It does not cause bloat like alfalfa and many other legumes. It is drought tolerant but with ample water can rival or beat alfalfa yields with only slightly less nutritious value. Sainfoin can be overseeded and will also re-seed itself if allowed to mature seed before cutting every 2 years. Alfalfa is auto-toxic making it unsustainable in my opinion. Under ideal conditions sainfoin can and has produced for 20 years and more. Alfalfa is a short term ley at best. Furthermore , Sainfoin also contains condensed tanins in sufficient amounts to be a natural and safe anthelmintic without being harmful to livestock. Plus , it has a beautiful pink bloom akin to to a lupine. I realize this is probably more than you ever wanted to know about sainfoin but I am a strong proponent of sustainable agriculture and Sainfoin fits the bill. And NO , I am not selling seed . I just like to spread the word so to speak.

I'm sorry Miss Lidia but just realized that you are in North Carolina which like a lot of the east is primarily acidic soil so sainfoin will likely not do well there but incase you are interested in growing better forage for your geese or other livestock there are a number of alternatives such as birdsfoot trefoil that also contains de-worming tannins. It does not yield so well as sainfoin but still reseeds itself plus it can stand some flooding and drought. Our Pilgrim geese especially enjoy the leaves and our chickens rob seedheads.

I'm sorry Miss Lidia but just realized that you are in North Carolina which like a lot of the east is primarily acidic soil so sainfoin will likely not do well there but incase you are interested in growing better forage for your geese or other livestock there are a number of alternatives such as birdsfoot trefoil that also contains de-worming tannins. It does not yield so well as sainfoin but still reseeds itself plus it can stand some flooding and drought. Our Pilgrim geese especially enjoy the leaves and our chickens rob seedheads.
I love the pics thank you and the info, and yes we are in the acidic soil region. but I like your ideas about sustainable growing, we have very rocky soil also which makes growing anything grass hard. But I have heard of birds foot so will check it out. So far most of the grasses I have tried haven't done well. Having too much shade and rocky soil doesn't help.

My goose is standing on her one feet sometimes, though se walks normally and I cannot understand if she has a problem? Is that normal?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom