Pilgrim Geese thread

Geese can technically live off of just grass. They don't really "seek out" bugs for protein, my geese only eat bugs that land on their water bowls. Someone I know doesn't even feed their geese, he just lets them roam on his land and they look perfectly thick and healthy. But unless your geese are getting 24/7 free range grass, you have to supplement with a quality feed.

Don't know if you can get water melon but mine love it and chopped kale and also romaine. sometimes I can find it marked down at grocery. They mostly get grocery greens in winter when everything is dead here.

Grapes to went over big with my gander but my 2 females love meal worms too. ganders won't eat them.

So here is what we have been feeding ours: Manna pro unmedicated starter feed for the first 3 weeks with the occasional "field trip" to play and graze outside and to meet the ducks. At 3 weeks we switched them to Purina duck grower and let them spend more time outside. They never really took to the duck grower so for the past week or so it has been as much time outside as the weather permits and mixed greens while inside (kale, romaine and swiss chard). I found dandelion greens at the store today to add to the mix. We've tried mixing the grower pellets in with the greens, but we just end up with a bowl full of pellets. I will try egg, but if it isn't green it usually isn't touched. How much should I worry?

Last edited:
So here is what we have been feeding ours: Manna pro unmedicated starter feed for the first 3 weeks with the occasional "field trip" to play and graze outside and to meet the ducks. At 3 weeks we switched them to Purina duck grower and let them spend more time outside. They never really took to the duck grower so for the past week or so it has been as much time outside as the weather permits and mixed greens while inside (kale, romaine and swiss chard). I found dandelion greens at the store today to add to the mix. We've tried mixing the grower pellets in with the greens, but we just end up with a bowl full of pellets. I will try egg, but if it isn't green it usually isn't touched. How much should I worry?
I'd keep offering the pellets but may try fermenting them, my flock loves fermented feed. You can try a small amt first to see if they like it or just try some pellets with warm water and ACV mixed in,. just watch for mold when feeding moist. ACV is good for keep mold at bay though. I can get you the link to ff making if interested.
My flock never did take to pellets.

The boys are starting to feather and getting so big!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom