Pilgrim Geese thread

The place is called Hemker Zoo. It is here in Minnesota. It was a two hour drive from where I live but worth it. It seemed to me it was a home owned zoo with about 200 animals. I'm not sure if the birds were rescues or not. I seen my first call ducks there and oh my goodness they are tiny and cute!
All the birds look healthy? Yep Calls are so adorable. Can you just drive in and visit anytime? and are Calls on your short list now? They fly real good too. What all kinds of animals did they have?

All the birds look healthy? Yep Calls are so adorable. Can you just drive in and visit anytime? and are Calls on your short list now? They fly real good too. What all kinds of animals did they have?
All the birds seemed to be healthy as far as I could tell. They had about 4 different areas for the birds. Each had a fairly decent sized pond. The whole zoo was kept very well and all the animals looked very well cared for. They had Zebras, giraffes, kangaroos, ducks, geese, tortoises, monkeys, penguins, chickens and other farm animals, parots, tons of hoofed animals, silver fox, badgers, a walk in aviary with parakeets, lynx, lemars... Anyone can go. It's was $10 a person to get in which is understandable being the proceeds go to the animals. You can even feed the giraffes and some of the other animals... And yes, calls are definately in our future! The hubby wants two indoor calls... lol! I think I started something now. I really don't know about the indoor part yet. I was the one who took care of the brooder part for both the ducks and the geese and am thankful they are outside now. So we'll see.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this one is but it was neat looking...

All the birds seemed to be healthy as far as I could tell. They had about 4 different areas for the birds. Each had a fairly decent sized pond. The whole zoo was kept very well and all the animals looked very well cared for. They had Zebras, giraffes, kangaroos, ducks, geese, tortoises, monkeys, penguins, chickens and other farm animals, parots, tons of hoofed animals, silver fox, badgers, a walk in aviary with parakeets, lynx, lemars... Anyone can go. It's was $10 a person to get in which is understandable being the proceeds go to the animals. You can even feed the giraffes and some of the other animals... And yes, calls are definately in our future! The hubby wants two indoor calls... lol! I think I started something now. I really don't know about the indoor part yet. I was the one who took care of the brooder part for both the ducks and the geese and am thankful they are outside now. So we'll see.
I see duck diapers in your future. lol Thanks for sharing the pics I love Bar Headed geese. After reading a few post on the duck thread last night that were so upsetting, I had to ask if these animals were taken care of. Very happy to hear they are.

I see duck diapers in your future. lol   Thanks for sharing the pics I love Bar Headed geese. After reading a few post on the duck thread last night that were so upsetting, I had to ask if these animals were taken care of. Very happy to hear they are.
I don't blame you for asking... I would too. I haven't been on the duck thread lately... I probably don't even want to know. :( I believe there is a learning curve, especially when you are new to owning a certain animal but there is also a line between learning and neglect.

Oh, and you're always welcome. I love sharing pictures. The thought of duck diapers has crossed my mind but that sounds like a long commitment! My last baby is now 6 and the thought of changing diapers for the next 10 or so years isn't exactly appealing! Lol

Last edited:
I don't blame you for asking... I would too. I haven't been on the duck thread lately... I probably don't even want to know.
sad.png
I believe there is a learning curve, especially when you are new to owning a certain animal but there is also a line between learning and neglect.

Oh, and you're always welcome. I love sharing pictures. The thought of duck diapers has crossed my mind but that sounds like a long commitment! My last baby is now 6 and the thought of changing diapers for the next 10 or so years isn't exactly appealing! Lil
Well if you decide to go the thread is what's wrong with my ducklings feet. pretty pitiful.

I see where your coming from with the diapers. I had them for our duckling when had in the house but I eventually quit using them and just carried around paper towels and disinfectant.He was only in the house 6 weeks though much better than 10 yrs.

Well if you decide to go the thread is what's wrong with my ducklings feet. pretty pitiful.

I see where your coming from with the diapers. I had them for our duckling when had in the house but I eventually quit using them and just carried around paper towels and disinfectant.He was only in the house 6 weeks though much better than 10 yrs.
Yeah I could do it for six weeks or so. I admire the people who do do it though. I imagine the bond they have with the house duck/goose is very close. I always go to the house threads to read all the stories and I have a few favorites. :)

Yeah I could do it for six weeks or so. I admire the people who do do it though. I imagine the bond they have with the house duck/goose is very close. I always go to the house threads to read all the stories and I have a few favorites.
smile.png
Me to I love seeing Cas and even later they have an incredible relationship, I have that with my Muscovy drake but not with any of my geese. They do like me again and want to hang out with me now the breeding season is over .
smile.png
I couldn't say that a little over a month ago though. My dh and I enjoyed having our Opie inside so much my dh said the next year maybe we'll get to raise another. didn't work out though mama took care of all her babies that time around. He is 4 yrs old and still likes to come inside and hang out with us. DH say's that duck isn't right. lol But he really is he is just bonded to us. He still has his 5 girls too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom