Pilgrim Geese thread

I have a question for my seasoned goose keepers--I've seen my geese gulping down whole pecans--shell and all--that have fallen from our tree.  Can they safely digest these, or should I be moving them someplace where they can't get to the nuts?

I don't think they are bad necessarily, but that's dangerous. It could choke them or impact their crop.

I have a question for my seasoned goose keepers--I've seen my geese gulping down whole pecans--shell and all--that have fallen from our tree. Can they safely digest these, or should I be moving them someplace where they can't get to the nuts?
I would doubt that they can "digest" a whole Pecan that is all in one peice and in the shell. Have you seen any evidence of them passing in their poop? We all like to think that they have enough wild in them to know what to eat and what not to eat but remember they will play with and swallow nuts and bolts and anything that shines like broken glass. I suggest moving them away from the Pecan tree if possible.

I know that wild geese in Europe regularly eat acorns (something I learned from an NPR story), but I wasn't sure about my tame domestic geese. Like I said, I'll move them to another pen wen the pecan tree gets ready to dump its harvest, just to be on the safe side.

A new picture of the boys taken today :)

I was just thinking that today too. "Where did all my little yellow fuzzlets go?" I thought kids grow too fast! Lol Thank you Miss Lydia for all your wonderful compliments!
smile.png
How are their temperaments?My gander Samson is beautiful but he can be ugly in his behavior, not so much now but boy during breeding season he's a handful Hope your still seeing sweetness in your 2.

Back
Top Bottom