Pilgrim gosling drooling massively?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cozycritters, Jul 18, 2011.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    We have a single pilgrim goose-- about two months old. He is a family favorite, but something is really off today. He's not interested in feed (which never happens) has tripped several times, but, what worries me the most, every time he bends his neck it looks like all the water I've been giving him just comes pouring out of his open beak. What would cause this? Could he have gotten into something bad to eat, like a string? Is there anything I can do to help? It has been really hot lately, so he and the four muscovies pant a lot, but they have been ok until this behavior on the goose's part today...

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I don't know, but I hope he is ok. I've got 3 I hatched in May, 2 males and a female, and they are just the most wonderful pets at this point.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I wouldn't worry about the drooling - see this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=536628

The tripping and not eating could be a problem, but I'm guessing it might be the heat. If he's full of water, there's no room for food.

Can you cool him off for a while somewhere and see if that helps? Like take him to an a/c'd place and give him food and water?

Last summer my gosling seemed to almost suffer heat strokes at night. I placed him on a cut up bottle cooler straight from the freezer and he loved it. Instead of panting, he started chirping right away as he placed his big feet on the frozen cooling mat.

4. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I have a single pilgrim to (his mate died at 8 days old) so I got a heavy dishpan filled it with water and he gets in it and stands and sometimes he will sit. During the hottest part of the day I put a chunk of ice in with him. It helps cool him down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by