pill bugs and slugs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mickeymousears, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Today we were picking up the backyard and turned over a piece of wood covering TONS of sowbugs (pill bugs) and slugs. I called the flock over to have a feast and they all stood on the spot waiting for a treat. I even scooped some up in a cup and they looked at me like I was crazy. Are my birds so spoiled they only eat things from my kitchen or do chickens not eat pill bugs and slugs?? I've seen my ducks eat slugs but I think they were also waiting for a better treat-or just lost in the confusion. AND how do I entice them into eating garden bugs (afterall that was the reason we got chickens in the first place)??

2. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    I had the same thing happen to me. After the big girls wandered off, the bantam started to pick at them. By the time I got the others to come back, most of the bugs had escaped if they weren't already eaten.

I think they like them if they actually eat them--but I guess it's not as yummy as a grape or a tomato or some yogurt.

For what it's worth, though, my girls go nuts for Japanese beetles. Beetles in general have become scarce around my place. I don't miss them, either!

Maybe if you cover the pill bugs in yogurt? [​IMG]

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I played the rooster role and showed the girls the pill bugs and now they love em. Only 2 of my girls like slugs- the 3rd shakes her head in disgust!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by