Chickens don’t know how to eat?

Brabra

Songster
Nov 29, 2022
These are my first chickens ever they are 13 weeks. If I throw greens to them they don’t eat it, they will only eat it if I hold it for them so that they can tear little bits….is this normal? Do you think it’s just because they are young and have no mature hens to teach them? ….also they don’t like worms or slugs…..and the bug they do eat they only will if I hand it to them :confused:

At first, my chicks HATED worms and slugs. I had to hand feed those buggers anything new for them to eat it, but after a while they will ween themselves off and explore new snacks. Although my girls loved grass when they were 10 weeks old, but i had to give it to them with my hands and show them where it came from by poking the grass.

They are young and will eventually develop a better taste for bugs and greens.
My girls hated mealworms for the first 6 months. Now they come sprinting at the sound of the bag. My EE hen (Karen) will jump 4 ft straight up if I’m not quick enough in dishing out the goods.

At first, my chicks HATED worms and slugs. I had to hand feed those buggers anything new for them to eat it, but after a while they will ween themselves off and explore new snacks. Although my girls loved grass when they were 10 weeks old, but i had to give it to them with my hands and show them where it came from by poking the grass.
Awesome, thank you glad they might learn

They are young and will eventually develop a better taste for bugs and greens.
My girls hated mealworms for the first 6 months. Now they come sprinting at the sound of the bag. My EE hen (Karen) will jump 4 ft straight up if I’m not quick enough in dishing out the goods.
Thank you I was afraid they were weird because I didn’t know what I was doing raising them

It's part of the human training process. The chickens will condition you to cater to their every whim. So you continuously fuss over them and bring them more food. At some point a bit after they start laying. They will turn into world devouring Dino raptor beasts on two legs. This early conditioning is for this moment. Whenever they see or hear you they will make sounds like they are going to die of starvation in 10 seconds and gather at the fence waiting for you to bring the treats.
Chooks are gangsas to be sure. 😛

But seriously, they know what they are doing, they just babies right now. Enjoy your girls. They grow up really fast.

It's part of the human training process. The chickens will condition you to cater to their every whim. So you continuously fuss over them and bring them more food. At some point a bit after they start laying. They will turn into world devouring Dino raptor beasts on two legs. This early conditioning is for this moment. Whenever they see or hear you they will make sounds like they are going to die of starvation in 10 seconds and gather at the fence waiting for you to bring the treats.
Chooks are gangsas to be sure. 😛

But seriously, they know what they are doing, they just babies right now. Enjoy your girls. They grow up really fast.
Thats hilarious thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom