1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pine Bedding?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by magikchick, May 6, 2007.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I brought some new bedding for the chicks today. It said pine bedding on the package but it has a real strong smell. I'm thinking there is some cedar mixed in it.

Will this be ok for my 2 week old chicks? I've look the package over but no listing of whats in it.

I have them on it now and they seem to be ok.

Marsha

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    If you lay it out on a tray and let it air out for a few hours the smell will weaken enough to where it should be safe to use. I've heard the oils in the wood can be dangerous but I have used pine shavings for a very long time without and problems, but I do air it out a bit before I use it.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Since this is not an emergency, I am moving this to the Raising Baby Chicks forum for better response.

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Open the package and let it air out. There is extra moisture in the shavings you bought so the smell is much stronger than you would normally notice. It happens quite often. It is still safe for chicks.

5. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I've used this stuff for my chicks. Its very absorbant and inexpensive. It probably doesn' thave any cedar in it, I highly dought it. This bedding has always had a stronger smell to it though. My hamsters and my chicks use it and have no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by