1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pine, Hay or Mulch?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PurpleChicken, Jun 13, 2007.

1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I'm sure this has come up a few times but I can't find a thread that addresses it.

My coop is two levels and I use hardware screen, I believe 1/4", which I'm told
    is bad on the birds claws. It's great cause everything falls through to the gound
    and it is very secure.

I tried to use pine shaving but they scratch it through the holes until it's all on
    the ground, not in the coop. Now I'm using hay. They like it a lot and it
    does seem a lot easier on their feet but I hear hay can turn moldy.

I'd love to hear opinions and preferences on this. Does anyone use a non-cedar
    mulch?

Thanks So Much!!!

2. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    If you are keeping the water above the hay, then mold could be a real problem from the water getting knocked into the hay. If you are keeping the water outside and there are no leaks in your roof, the straw should be fine. Mold on straw is harmful to you, too, so if you feel sneezy near your coop or smell anything moldy, that is a sign that your coop is not staying dry enough.

-MTchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by