Pine mulch in coop and run?

JLMom

Chirping
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Massachusetts
Does anyone use pine mulch in their coop and/or run? We have an A-Frame coop. Coop is on top, with a run underneath.

Right now, I have pine shavings in my coop, and the run is on bare dirt. There are some people down the street who have the nice brown pine mulch (not the pine wood chips) in their hoop run. It looks nice, and I want that for the bottom of my run.

My question is : could I also use that "upstairs" in my coop? If I keep using the pine shavings, it will fall on the dark mulch and look stupid. I would like to do the 'deep litter method'. Any experience with this, anybody? TX

Pine mulch is OK, but not great. It doesn't absorb much in the way of fluids, so I wouldn't really recommend it. I don't use the deep litter method, so I can't really comment on it. (I've always thought it was kind of disgusting to be honest. I'm a neat freak.)

Pine shavings would be better. Mulch has a lot of dirt in it which will cake up in your coop.

Deep litter works great with enough shavings and there's almost no smell.

Last edited:
OP here. Yes, I am using pine shavings now. But my coop is in the back under some trees, near my children's climber, and the light colored pine shavings look messy. The pine mulch would blend in much better. Maybe I will go with sand in run and pine shavings inside.

Back
Top Bottom