Pine needles for bedding ???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mrsfoote, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Is it safe to have pine needles for bedding in the coop.

2. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Anyone?? Please

3. Hookem

Hookem New Egg

Dec 28, 2010
    tHATS A GOOD QUESTION THAT I DONT HAVE AN ANSWER FOR SINCE I JUST STARTED RAISING CHICKENS A MONTH OR SO AGO. I LIVE IN THE PINEY WOODS OF EAST TEXAS AND HAVE TONS OF PINE NEEDLES. hELP!

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

yep, mine have a nice deep layer of pine needles in their coop. It works great and its FREE [​IMG]

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    The brown dried needles have less resin than the fresh green ones... so I'd use the brown ones (which are more available under the trees, anyway).

6. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

My great-aunt has been doing this for years with her Dominiques with NO problem!

7. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    I use pine straw in a corner of my aviary as well. My ducks don't really use it much, but sometimes play in it. They love to root around in it, though.

From what i heard in the duck section, it's very hard to get moldy, which was the main reason i went with it.

I was previously going to use some dried grasses like meadow hays, but nearly all of them are green and i noticed all the green hays seem to mold over within a week in my climate.

If you are lucky to have a pine tree, you can get it for free or just buy a bale of it, much like Hay. I bought a 25 or 40 pound bale, for about $20.

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Great for bedding and after they've used it great for mulching garden. Smells good too. Just another form of pine.

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I use pine needles in my nest boxes [​IMG]

10. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    gonna steal some in my next visit to my friends acreage.Pine needles rock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by