Pine needles for bedding ???

tHATS A GOOD QUESTION THAT I DONT HAVE AN ANSWER FOR SINCE I JUST STARTED RAISING CHICKENS A MONTH OR SO AGO. I LIVE IN THE PINEY WOODS OF EAST TEXAS AND HAVE TONS OF PINE NEEDLES. hELP!

yep, mine have a nice deep layer of pine needles in their coop. It works great and its FREE
ya.gif

The brown dried needles have less resin than the fresh green ones... so I'd use the brown ones (which are more available under the trees, anyway).

I use pine straw in a corner of my aviary as well. My ducks don't really use it much, but sometimes play in it. They love to root around in it, though.

From what i heard in the duck section, it's very hard to get moldy, which was the main reason i went with it.

I was previously going to use some dried grasses like meadow hays, but nearly all of them are green and i noticed all the green hays seem to mold over within a week in my climate.

If you are lucky to have a pine tree, you can get it for free or just buy a bale of it, much like Hay. I bought a 25 or 40 pound bale, for about $20.

Back
Top Bottom