8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Piedmont of NC
Do you guys think pine needles would
be a good nesting material? I have some
left over from spring, and just thought they
might be ok to use, since I have them. Any thoughts
would be greatly appreciated!

Just to see what they would do, I have a pine tree right beside the run. I have four nesting boxes that have wheat straw in all four. I put pine straw in two of them and patted it down to make a cavity in it. The eggs I've gotten for these hens so far have been in the nest with the pine straw. I'll let it go another week to see what they do and possibly put it in the other two. It worked for me.

Thanks for the tip! My two Goldwater pines that proudly stand over protecting, hiding and shading the coop...Seemingly put out a bushel-full a week!
tongue.png

Regards, Coop.

I have nothing but pine straw and pine shavings in my boxes. My girls love them and have arranged the pine straw how they wanted it. I use the pine straw from under my pine tree.

I put pine needles in the run and nesting box, and my girls loved it, they were busy moving it around and scratching in it. It was fun watching them. So I'm glad other people are using it, because I have plenty.

Let me say I just slapped my forehead after reading this. I just though DUH! I have a slew of pine trees and I constantly raking up the straw. Thank you for pointing out something I should have thought of but didn't. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom