Pine Pellets concern

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pamduff, Nov 6, 2011.

1. pamduff

pamduff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Hi we decided to try using pine pellets today. We have been using hay and I thought the pellets might be easier to maintain. My concern is the very strong odor we are experiencing from them. Our brooder is indoors and I am worried that the smell coming off may be dangerous for the chicks. We have spent a lot of time trying to air it out but it does not seem to be helping much. It is bothering me and I am not right on top of it. Is this going to be a problem for my chicks? They are about 5 weeks and so far have been very healthy. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you.
    Pam

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The odor won't hurt them, and you'll find it will mostly go away in a few days

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I used them in my brooder (also inside) and that why I *did like them, because they smelled so good.

4. pamduff

pamduff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Thank you all for you speedy responses...I love the smell as well it is just so overpowering and really bothering me...headache and such but as long as it will not hurt them I will tolerate it....the things we will do for these birds! LOL.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it's that strong, that you're getting a headache from it, I'd switch to something else, for now. You could air them out and use them later or just use them out in the coop later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by