Pine Shavings Feast

dianer29

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
I just moved my Silkies into a bigger cardboard box/brooder. I also stopped the paper toweling method and put a layer of shavings on the floor of it as well as upgrade the waterer to an upright one instead of the trough plastic one I have been using in there. This should keep a bit of the shavings out of the water supply. Their plastic red trough for starter food is still in there as I purchased a wall mount metal feeder for the coop we are in process of working on. They are 4 weeks old and 2or 3 of them are "glued to the trough for they are scared of the shavings. It looks like first day of kindergarten in the brooder right now. Most of the rest of them are running around in the small space of which they are used to before I made a bigger brooder to allow more living space for them while they wait for the coop to be completed. I am concerned as the ones that are brave enough to use the floor currently are eating the darn pine shavings. I know this cannot be good for them .I have grit mixed in their starter food ,however I am concerned this is not good health wise for them. I am relieved to get the paper toweling out of there as they would eat pieces of that as well. I started a banana piece as a treat once a day for nutrition and boredom this past week. Please advise as I am so concerned and stressed over it. I am by the brooder every 2 hours since day one ,4 weeks now, day and night to watch temp ,provide shade, observe their behavior, change their paper ,water, maintain food supply and just general upkeep. I appreciate all the help I get from this forum.

Nah. Dont worry. At lease I dont. I have always used shavings, always had chicks pecking at it and never lost one because of it.

smile.png

Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Back
Top Bottom