Pine Shavings for Litter

heiko

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Pittsburgh
I read all the time to use pine shavings for litter.
Fine, but can I also use mixed wood which was put through a shredder? I can get this for free from our community park where the landscaping companies dump the stuff. I use it all the time for mulching my beds, but does it work as litter in the chicken house?

Thanks!
Heiko

I use a mixture of woods that are local to my area. The only wood I don't use is Cedar. Are the chips that you are producing from the shredder, the same constancy as package chips? I wouldn't use chips that are produced from a chipper. I would think they are to big to be of much use. I use the chips that are produced from my planer. If you have local wood shops in your area, see if they have some chips you can have.

chips are definitely not shavings. i use shavings which i buy fairly cheap at a local co-op (though they get them from canada) i think a sawmill would have something much more like shavings that could be used as bedding if you could get it dry

my town does the mulch thing as well, but it's crappy stuff, full of ground up plastic bags and garbagy stuff, not something i want my chickens eating...

I use pine shaving I get at my local feed store or at Wal-Mart in the pet department.
idunno.gif
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom