Pine Shavings in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jennmugg, Apr 15, 2009.

1. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    Sorry if this is the wrong section for the question...

I bought pine shavings last night for the brooder box that we keep in our spare room. Is this ok for us and the chicks? I don't want any of us to get sick.

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Pine shavings are good to use. It's cedar shavings that can make chicks sick. Don't use cedar.

Bluemoon

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I would not use the shavings for at least a week or they may think it food. I had mine on paper towel for the first day and then switched to a puppy pee pad. I love those pads. Easy to change, traps moisture, and chicks won't slip. I used wood shavings after their first week. I stopped using puppy pads under the shavings at 2 weeks when the chicks started to scratch and tear up the cotton.

Here is a discussion about pine shavings and possible effects on humans. See #14
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163331&p=2

Be sure your brooder has good ventilation. Also be sure the room the brooder is in has good ventilation.

Enjoy your chicks! [​IMG]

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I put newspaper down on top of the shavings,sprinkle their feed on the paper, after 2 days roll up the paper and your good to go.
    Will

5. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Never use newspaper with day old chicks. It can cause spraddle leg. I alway's use papertowels or old shirts the first week and then switch to pineshavings.

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Dh bought some pine shavings for my brooder, but they were really more like sawdust! [​IMG] I didn't use them because that can get impacted in their crop. We went back and got Aspen, because they were the larger shavings. Mine are all doing fine. Of course, once in a while they're going to try a bite, but these shavings are way too large for them to eat, so they immediately spit them out.

Shelly

7. DukeDawg528

DukeDawg528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    SouthEastern Kentucky
    Pine shavings is all I use and I've never had any problems...

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You can use paper towels on top of the shavings for the first few days or week, it is not slippery like newspaper but works the same otherwise.

Have fun,

Pat

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

And be sure to raise your waterer on bricks or something- those little fellers sure make a mess! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by