Pine Shavings or Straw?

OlpA

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Abilene Kansas
I have 25 RIR that are 5 months old. I have a concrete floor and was wondering what is best to use on the coop on the floor. Should I use pine shavings or straw? I currently use staw but they keep stuffing the waterer and feeder with staw.

Is there any way I can get them to keep the straw out of the water and feed?

That's funny! I use pine shavings and was thinking about using straw because they get the shavings in their food and water. I don't know what to use now.

Same problem as Southernchick here! Was going to pick up some straw tomorrow, actually. My problem is that I can't hang the feeder and waterer as high as I'd like because I have 1 bantie in the mix. I think the rule is that you don't hang it any higher than the back of your smallest chicken. So, what's perfect for her means shavings in the food and water from the others.

Raise the waterer up on a cinder block and keep it high enough to be at about back level. That should stop alot of the shavings and straw getting into the trough.

I put mine on a cinder block then if I have a smaller one who can't quite reach, I put a 2" thick board or some other step for shorty. That way, the water stays up high, but the shortest ones can still reach it.

Straw does not keep the smell down the way pine shavings do. It is also more difficult to clean up, in my opinion. I always say to use pine shavings all the way.

BTW, I use cinder blocks, too.

I don't like to use straw. Straw and hay are two different things. Straw has a hollow tube and gives bacteria a place to thrive and grow - hence more smell than when using pine shavings or hay.

My chicken barn was built in 1915. It is 5 rooms, 25x25 ft each (larger than many houses). The roof line slopes from over 12ft to 8 ft high. It sits on a block column foundation 2 ft off the ground. I am only using 2 rooms now. Deep litter hay is the most economical for me. I do use shavings in the brooders and a light sprinkle in the nest boxes.

Once the waterers are up and stuff isn't wet the smell should begin to disipate. DE (food grade) will also help with the smell by killing off flies and other insects. I powder it around liberally.

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I'm a weensy bit allergic to hay, but I can deal with it. The price of shavings is just getting a bit much. Walmart is more than half the price of the local pet shops, but I was informed that they only carry in winter. I just bought some there last week! I don't know what's going on there, but I'm going to call a few other locations today.

Pet stores would definitely be very expensive. I get a large (can't tell you exactly how many cubic feet, maybe 9-10) bag of compressed shavings for around $7.00 at the feed store, where you'd generally be able to find very large quantities. Check to see if there is a farm and garden store within driving distance.

I hadn't thought of using hay, that's a great idea! There are plenty of farmers around here that sell it for around $5.00 a bale. We have straw right now but I agree, it can get smelly. As soon as this bale runs out, we will pick up some hay for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom