pine shavings vs. hay bedding?

kelster6

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
williamsburg, va
does anyone have recommendations about brooder bedding? pine shavings vs. hay?
pros and cons to both? I've heard baby chicks will sometimes eat the shavings so I have hay over paper towels down right now.

Shaving would be better over hay, but if in the beginning you can use papertowels for the first few day that would be good.

I NEVER use shavings for babies under 2 weeks old. Use straw or hay for the first 2 weeks because there is a great chance that the chickens will ingest them and get blocked up and it could be fatal.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this one as well. I can get a large roll of hay for $35, a brick of shavings is $5-$6. I'm guessing that a roll would last me 1.5 to 2 years, if I didn't feed the rest to the cows maybe longer. I'm guessing I'll go through a brick of shavings every month or two. So that is $60-$120 a year under ideal contions. Now I've read that hay can harbor mites, and that could be a problem. I do plan on using DE (bought full bag yesterday), so I don't know if that would negate the mite issue? Any other reason NOT to use hay? I own a chipper, and could send the hay through that first? That might knock the volume of hay way down, so I might only get a year out of a roll, but still much better than shavings. I'm still really new to all of this, am I missing something? Maybe a combo of shavings and hay?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom