Pine Shavings

maggieandotis

Songster
Apr 30, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hi,

Wanted to get people's opinions on putting pine shavings on dirt floor of chicken coop. We have them in the coop itself but are wondering people's thoughts are on putting them on dirt floor of small fenced in area outside the coop. I've circled the area in attached photo. New to having chickens so not sure.

Thanks for the advice!
Maggie
A3E6BAC1-C435-45F6-BAA7-97F64539A869.jpeg

Once all my grass is gone or it starts to smell I'm going to be putting wood chips on mine. It's like a deep bedding method. I've heard great things about it. Also make compost that you can remove later on grow a garden in that area this is my plan.

I'm a fan of the deep litter method. A mix of materials such as wood chips, shavings, pine straw, straw, dried grass clippings, fall leaves, and whatever other "compost browns" you have handy does a good job of absorbing the waste without compacting into mats.

You can throw a little scratch in from time to time to get the chickens to mix it up for you and stir it with a fork if you need to bust up any matted or caked areas.

I'm a fan of the deep litter method. A mix of materials such as wood chips, shavings, pine straw, straw, dried grass clippings, fall leaves, and whatever other "compost browns" you have handy does a good job of absorbing the waste without compacting into mats.

You can throw a little scratch in from time to time to get the chickens to mix it up for you and stir it with a fork if you need to bust up any matted or caked areas.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom