Pine shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cajunlizz, Jul 5, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Anybody EVER have any problem with insects ( mites , fleas , ETC . ) from using Pine shavings ?

I have not seen the 1st. insect in the coop , not even flies .

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Nope. I never have had a problem with insects in the coop. doesn't matter wether I use pine, straw, or hay.

3. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    Hi, we use pine shavings in coop and nest boxes. You can still get insects in there, we do, however an insect doesn't normally live long if it enters our coop while the chickens are in. This may be why you haven't seen any.

4. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    That's interesting. My son used to have pet rats and they frequently got mites and the vet said it was common to get things like that from the bedding. So I wondered about pine shavings too - since chickens can get mites. I hope that the chickens will gobble up anything that comes in the bedding.

5. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Remember, you should sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth powder on your bedding. It will kill mites, fleas, ticks, ants etc.

6. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    All I use in my coop and nesting boxes are pine shavings ...

No muss , no fuss , NO poop , NO flies . So , so far I do not see the need to use DE ...

I can take arake or broom and sweep out all the shavings and replace ... Nothing is wet , or stuck to the floor .

7. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:OK , so we are in both agreement of regardless what is used in coop , NO insects , UNLESS the chickens are having a FEAST !!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So far , I see NO need to use DE .

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We're using planks over concrete, a dusting of DE` and Stable Boy and pine shavings. The only flies in there sneak in and don't last long with the ladies chasing them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by