Pine Straw -- A Success So Far

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
OK, its only been a month, but using pine straw in my run has been a great success. Its fluffy, dries on top rapidly after rain, and is free for the raking. Additionally, its got a naturally pleasant odor and isn't inclined to smell sour when wet. The chickens can readily scratch it aside to access the dirt for dust bathing too.

I'm using shavings in the coop since they're more absorbent, but the pine straw in the run -- adding a little extra ever couple weeks, is working well so far.

I have to buy either shavings or pine straw. It must be great to get free pine straw. I use sand in the run, but straw in the coop would be nice.

Chris

The ground here is already sand. There'd be no point to adding more.
big_smile.png

The pine straw seems to keep all the corn husks that I'm getting from work from getting compacted and slimy.

I'll have some nice compost in the run by spring, I think.

I use pinestraw in my run as well and like it much better than shavings there. Haven't tried it in the coop itself yet, but prob will go to that. The needles seem to be better for smell control plus the hens aren't able to scratch it out of the pen as easily as the shavings.

I never thought of this and love the idea. I will need to rake some up and add to the run before the snow falls. I use pine straw to mulch the paths in my garden and it does dry quickly after rain. The chickens will have so much fun digging through it.

Back
Top Bottom