Pine Tar as wood preservative?

Chicken-poodle

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
VA
We have built a wood frame for the chicken run out of untreated fir, as I will be putting in an organic garden downhill. Now I am researching what to paint/protect the wood with. Pine Tar looks interesting- but a friend says it is toxic if on the skin. Is it safe for chickens? I see posts here about putting it on chicken skin. How effective is it for a chicken run? Thanks!

We have built a wood frame for the chicken run out of untreated fir, as I will be putting in an organic garden downhill. Now I am researching what to paint/protect the wood with. Pine Tar looks interesting- but a friend says it is toxic if on the skin. Is it safe for chickens? I see posts here about putting it on chicken skin. How effective is it for a chicken run? Thanks!

Did you end up using it? I had a similar idea. I was going to line the bottom of my coop with old wood boards covered in pine tar to protect the coop from ground contact moisture. Weirdly I haven't seen a lot of information about using it for chicken coops. It seems a lot less toxic than whatever they treat wood with normally.

Back
Top Bottom