Pine tree in chicken run??

lizakn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Carlingford, NB Canada
We are just starting to build our Coop, which will be inside our barn in an old stall. The 'run' we are building just outside the barn {which they will be able to get to through what we call a "chicken bridge"} will have a large old pine tree in it. We thought since that side of the barn can get alot of sun & heat, that perhaps building the 'run' around the tree would be a good idea for shade. Now...are their any negatives to having a tree inside the 'run'?? Are the pine needles harmful to the hens?

Seems like a cool idea! I can't tell you much besides a gentleman that we gave one of our roosters to (W ended up getting him back - he was being anaughty boy over there and attacking people) his entire run area was pine trees! He just had netting connecting around the trees to prevent sky predators. Especially since they hide out in trees if it's not netted off it would be easy for them to hop down some branches and get to your babies. Can't wait to see pics!

Last edited:
I would also warn you about predators that could perch in the tree before attacking (I'm thinking hawks, cats, possum). Other than that, the tree would provide the chickens with a nice source for bugs falling down from it. My chickens have a pine tree and they enjoy it. The needles that fall are a nice addition to the ground and help keeping it from getting too muddy.

My free ranging chickens run to our lone pine tree when danger is present and they're quite safe. In fact, having gone several rounds trying to get my chickens OUT from under the pine tree I can attest that its thick branches gives them excellent hiding places. They also love to dig sand baths in the soft ground under the tree.

Our neighbors have a similar run, and every night-without fail- they choose to roost up in the pine tree rather than their coop. They climb up about 10 feet high and stay there all night.

yuckyuck.gif
I would love to see pictures of those chickens perched in the tree!

Thanks everyone!....I feel better knowing that the Pine Tree is ok in the the run. We live in NB, Canada....so possums won't be an issue since we don't have them around here...and I don't think hawks will be an issue either since they usually don't come near our house or barn...they tend to circle the pasture {which is quite a ways from the house/barn}
I'll post pics as soon as everything is finished!

Back
Top Bottom