Pine Tree Infested With Weird Bugs! Should we cut the tree down? Pictures!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Oct 13, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    In our backyard we have a pine tree that we transplanted about 8 years ago. Just recently we discovered that the tree is infested with these weird black bugs. If you walk past the tree you can sometimes hear them making a clicking sound. There is also constanly bee's on this tree. I'm pretty sure the bee's live right underneath the tree in the ground.

My dilemma is, I have no idea what these bugs are. There is probably thousands of them if I had to guess. Will they kill my other tree's?

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You are not going to eat that tree, so go and buy a strong systemic insecticide and water it into the tree. The tree takes it up through the roots and when the bug bites the tree, the bug dies.

You can buy a systemic at any store that sells plant and garden supplies. Follow the directions and don't use a systemic on any plants that produce food for humans or livestock.

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Could they be stink bugs? Kinda' looks like it. Chickens love 'em!

1 person likes this.
  4. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Thats what i thought too Sting bugs or Scale cant really tel.Ge
    t some dawn dishwashing liquid put in 2 table spoons of bleach and add water to a spray bottle shake the mix up and spray 2 times a week PS NON of these ingreedience are ba for your chickens

5. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    how big is the tree? are they still on it?
    you can try hosing them off. with a high power jet.
    Your tree is a fir tree looking at the needles. if it is not to big you can try a systemic . If it is a large tree you will probably have to have someone come out and spray it.
    you can take a sample to your local county ag department and they can id your pest.
    where are you located at?

6. hilleharris

hilleharris New Egg

Jun 16, 2013
    I have recently acountered the same conundrum - I wrapped sticky bug tape round the trunk which stopped the bugs transferring to other nearby plants and 3 days later, all bugs had disappeared from the branches - the bands were covered in the bugs.
    I have consulted a tree surgeon and a gardener - no one had ever seen such infestation before. For the timebeing at least, it appears, all is well and will monitor this in the future, having made sure a stock of sticky insect bands. Good luck!

7. MackChick

MackChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Are they actually killing the tree? What part of the tree are they eating?

8. hilleharris

hilleharris New Egg

Jun 16, 2013
    Hi
    I dont think they were actually eating the trea - like yours, they "painted" the branches black. They were also making their way down and that is when I decided to wrap sticky insect tape round the trunk. They got stuck on them and the branches are all clear again. I have other fir trees in the garden but they did not infest them. Long story short, tree is fine and no way would I fell it. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by