pine tree needles...??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smom1976, May 20, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I was reading another post and they mentioned that they used pine tree needles for the bottom of the coop.. now we have soo many of those trees around here can I use that instead of shavings or straw..
    '

Just for clarification the needles are about 5-6 inches long and sometimes come in clumps of two or three needles each..

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I sometimes use dried leaves and pine straw on the ground in the run. I haven't tried them in the coop itself. I wonder if the pine straw would be absorbant enough. In any case, I think it would be safe. Give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always clean it out and try something else.

3. mudshark

mudshark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    UK
    I have lots of leylandii and have to cut them back quite a bit and am wondering if I shredded the leaves from them whether they'd work well.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    AS long as it isnt toxic, yes, it will work. Shredded leaves are fine.
    Pine straw isnt real absorbent, but when deep enough, it allows the droppings to collect and cleared out readily.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I wouldn't recommend using pine needles in chicken housing or runs. Their feet are very susceptible to bringing in bacteria and it only takes one poke from a pine needle to cause infection (bumble foot). In addition, they may eat them and end up with an impacted crop. Just some concerns I wanted to bring to light. I hope this helps.

Jody

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Jody (hinkcjc) has forgotten more about chickens than most of us will ever know, and makes some good points.

I can only add that living in SC, just about everything done here is done on pine straw (fallen needles). This includes rearing chickens. I use it in nests and of course the birds roam freely in it all the time. I haven't seen any issues with it to date.

But as always, YMMV.

7. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

thats all i use is pine straw or needles, i use it in the nest boxes, & in the coop on the floor, i havnt had any problems .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by