1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pinion Chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Faverolle Lover, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Faverolle Lover

Faverolle Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    I am planning to buy a few bantam chicks that are good at flying but I live where flying over a fence could get them eaten by my neighbor's dog and so I was wondering if pinioning is a good option? I don't want to be constantly clipping off their feathers and I wouldn't mind clipping the pinion off, I'm just wondering if it's safe for the bird, has it ever been done before, or should I just deal with clipping their feathers each year?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    If you don't want to deal with clipping the wings annually, pinioning them may be a good idea, but you have to be careful when doing this. I recommend allowing a vet or someone with experience to help you.

3. Faverolle Lover

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    So what age would you recommend for pinioning? I know that it's two weeks for quail but they mature faster than chickens (from what I've seen)

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Is it really that much of a hassle to clip wings after every molt?

5. Faverolle Lover

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    If they fly out they will be eaten and I really want them to live as long as possible. My worry is that I'll forget and they'll fly over to my neighbor's yard and meet the dog. I live in the country and so there's a lot of guard dogs nearby. The bantam breeds that I'm getting are bantam Americana and seabright if that helps.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  7. Faverolle Lover

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    Okay. From all of the info that I've gathered I'm guessing that they should be pinioned at 2-4 weeks old and have corn starch nearby. Sound okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by