Pinioning anxiety - need pointers/encouragement

If they are 4 weeks old, I don't think it would be a good idea. The bones would be much more developed thank birds that are a day or 2 old. I would think it would cause alot of pain and tons of bleeding, not to mention the emotional stress. Plus they are much more mobile by that age, so I would worry about them re-opening the wound or getting it very dirty and infected. If you were going to do it at that age I would involve a vet, but I am sure it would be expensive. I think you would be better off just clipping wings at this point. Just my $.02, good luck whatever you choose.

If they are 4 months I would say do not do it. You are talking a surgical amputation at that point, a vet would definitely need to do it. Maybe you could do it safely but, I would not risk it.

I did do mine, at 1 day old. The bones were very soft, I used kitchen shears that were sterilized and cleaned with alcohol between birds. It sliced right through with no effort. It pretty much did not bleed, maybe a drop per bird. I dabbed some neosporin on the cut end and it sealed it up no problem. The little ones barely even moved when the clip was made. It was really easy, my dogs give me a harder time trimming toe nails.

I am one of those wild fowl breeders, yep day 1 is best, but adults can be done as well, you just have to know what you are doing and I wouldnt recommend anyone new to it, try it.
Often, we'd get folks that requested it for ponds any such, and it's very possible to do, have done 100's if not thousands, but much care needs to be taken on any older birds! Would recommend feather cutting at this point, just twice a year right after their molts.
Aubrey

Thanks all - I'll take your words for it and not attempt it. Might check with the vet to see what they would charge. I have two males with angel wing, only in one wing each so maybe it won't be too much. Or might just let them go - not sure. They sure do look funny though so it would be purely cosmetic. Not sure it would be right to put them through that just for cosmetic reasons. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom