Pinioning?

For what it's worth, I brought my duckling to the vet today for a general checkup and asked him his opinion on pinioning. He said it shouldn't be done on ducklings more than one day old, and even then, he's against it. It's admirable that he told me that, because he could have gotten more money from me by convincing me to do it. Instead, he told me that he thinks it's wrong. So, I'll just be clipping my duck's wings as needed. Thanks for the input, everybody!

For what it's worth, I brought my duckling to the vet today for a general checkup and asked him his opinion on pinioning. He said it shouldn't be done on ducklings more than one day old, and even then, he's against it. It's admirable that he told me that, because he could have gotten more money from me by convincing me to do it. Instead, he told me that he thinks it's wrong. So, I'll just be clipping my duck's wings as needed. Thanks for the input, everybody!
i say you have a great vet there. they ,like all drs, should tell you the truth but some get so greedy that they over look the animals/persons over all well being. i would defiantly keep that vet

No! don't pinion them! no matter what, pinioning is painful. For them, its like cutting off a pinkie. If you don't want them to fly, just clip their wings. They moult every year so you only have to do it once/year. Call ducks are flyers, but clipping can stop that. they are also excelent pets so if they are raised right, you should have no problem of them leaving you.
You also have to think about preditors. if you chose to pinion them, they would have a very hard time getting away from a stray cat. If you clip them they have a greater chance of surviving an attack.And if your keeping them in a couped area....what are the chances of them getting away---especially with clipped wings? i would only worry if you decided to coup them...but not clip them.
Hope i helped! and hope i changed your mind!
-i atached this vid... its a tutorial of how to clip birds wings
[VIDEO]

Thank you! Once I saw my little baby flapping her tiny wings, I had already decided that I wouldn't have her pinioned. But I still brought it up with the vet, and he agreed that I shouldn't do it. She's going to be an indoor duck, and I'll keep her wings clipped for safety.

Back
Top Bottom