Pink Jasmine

joanm

Songster
12 Years
May 13, 2007
I'm starting a garden around my coop and I have pink jasmie I wanted to plant.

I just clicked on a link for poisonous plants for chickens from the chicken food chart, and it listed Jasmine. I don’t think this is the same kind of Jasmine I wanted to plant. Does anyone else have pink Jasmine planted that your chickens have access to? I also wanted to plant pansies.

My new addition on the coop is finished and I wanted to plant a garden along the side. I'll post pictures with I'm finished...
smile.png

Sort of related to this topic, wouldn't you want to plant something decorative that the chickens had no interest in eating? I'd think the chickens would know (instinctively) that a plant wasn't good for them and not eat it.

But, that's my own thoughts!
smile.png

On a side note, Pinapple Sage is pretty when it flowers out and my chickens haven't tried to eat it. The flowers are reddish-orange in color.

Well, I don't know that they acutally do have an interest in Jasmine. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't poisonous.

I've never planted Pineapple Sage. Are you in zone 8?

Last edited:
Hi joanm, We have yellow jasmine, a vining plant.My chickens don't touch it at all. I free range & if your chickens are penned they might try to eat it.
idunno.gif
Just a thought, I'm not certain.

I have pink Jasmine growing up my pen fence. The Chickens don't really bother with it. It vines tall instead of wide, so it may be too high for them to eat. My other pen had star jasmine all around the exterior fence and they all lived fine. ??? I have had chickens for 20 year around jasmine. not sure.

I have read the yellow jasmine is poisonous to chickens, thats probably why they dont eat it.
The yellow or confederate Jasmine is toxic to all animals and humans. It not a true Jasmine. The pink is not toxic at all! I have some pink jasmine I want to plant along my chicken yard, so I just did lots of research to make sure it would be ok!

Understanding that this is an old thread, I don't concern myself with if a plant is toxic. They won't eat it, at least not enough of it. My concern is will the chickens kill the plant. I put Confederate jasmine in the run to grow up a post and onto the run fence. Some rocks around the root ball area gave the plant enough protection to survive and thrive.

Back
Top Bottom