Pinless Peeper/Poultry Blinders?

:::bump:::

Does anyone who use these have a nipple water system and can you tell me how they work with your chickens trying to get water out of the nipples?

It's definitely a two-person job. My husband wrapped each one in a towel and held their heads still, and I was able to spread the peeper apart just a little without any tools and place them in the nostril. The chickens didn't "like" it but it was very quick and not painful, and we held them for a minute or two afterward to make sure they were calm before letting them down. Word of caution - if you warm them in hot water first they are indeed more pliable, but the birds can easily kick them off if you don't allow enough time for them to cool and stiffen back up. Mine were easy enough to flex a bit with my hands and then just pop them on the beak.

I can do it by myself with some snap-ring pliers. I don't warm them, either, and my hens are NOT tame. I think it depends how much practice you have.

This thread has been VERY helpful. After reading everyone's posts, I purchased 5 on e-bay for $5 incl shipping from china. I'll try them out on Pumpkin, who I JUST discovered is the feather-picking culprit!!!

Badness!!!!!

Willow

You can't hurt her nostrils with the peepers. Just flex the peeper slightly and make sure it sits in the slits or holes, and she should be fine. I put them on 7 of my 9 hens and they get used to them very quickly. Just make sure they are the right size.

You can't hurt her nostrils with the peepers. Just flex the peeper slightly and make sure it sits in the slits or holes, and she should be fine. I put them on 7 of my 9 hens and they get used to them very quickly. Just make sure they are the right size.
I didn't know there were different sizes!!! Ack!!! I had a hard time finding ANY at all... do the sizes vary much?

You can get them in Bantam size, gamebird size and also turkey size, as well as the "standard" size for chickens. When placed on the bird they should look like the pictures you see on websites - sort of like a pince nez for chickens! Big enough to block the vision but not so big that they fall off the break.

Back
Top Bottom