Peepers for an 18 wk old pullet

PeachyPeckers

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
How old does a pullet need to be to fit pinless peepers? I have an 18 week old delaware that is not integrating well. She's a big bully to my 20 week old EE. My EE is the absolute sweetest and I have tried isolating the Delaware for several weeks to get the pecking order resorted but she still doesn't get it. She thinks she's the boss. My 2 adult hens sometimes put her in her place but they are pretty gentle about it. She bullies some of the other pullets too but they stick up for themselves. My EE just takes it.😭 I have some pinless peepers but are they too big for an 18 week old nostrils?

I would try the pin less peeper.

Or I would consider selling her. Sometimes you get a bird that just does not fit with the other birds in the flock. Did the tension of the flock drop when you pulled her out? Were things more peaceful? If so, selling her should be easy, get a little feed money, and peace in the flock.

Mrs K

I would try the pin less peeper.

Or I would consider selling her. Sometimes you get a bird that just does not fit with the other birds in the flock. Did the tension of the flock drop when you pulled her out? Were things more peaceful? If so, selling her should be easy, get a little feed money, and peace in the flock.

Mrs
I'm asking if the size of the peepers is ok for an 18 week old nostrils. Getting rid of her is not an option for me right now.

I have some pinless peepers but are they too big for an 18 week old nostrils?
So you've used the peepers before?

As to the bullying, have you tried/examined any other options?
Peepers are IMO a last resort, there are often other factors that can be adjusted to solve the problem.
Like looking at the size of your coop and run, in feet by feet, and the number of birds you have?
Clutter and hiding spaces within the run?

So you've used the peepers before?

As to the bullying, have you tried/examined any other options?
Peepers are IMO a last resort, there are often other factors that can be adjusted to solve the problem.
Like looking at the size of your coop and run, in feet by feet, and the number of birds you have?
Clutter and hiding spaces within
Yes of course I have exhausted other options. I have done the math and have plenty of room for the amount of chickens, I also have lots of clutter. They are only in the coop and outdoor run for a few hours a day (besides at night to sleep). I had two other pullets that were raised with her and they integrated just fine but I had to keep her isolated. They free range 3/4 of an acre most of the day and have large a tractor enclosure for when I spot a hawk above. She chases and bullies the EE even when they are out free ranging. I have not used peepers before but I ordered some already and this IS my last resort. I just need to know if anyone has used them on an 18 week pullet. I don't know if the plastic will fit in their nostrils at that age.
This delaware has been like this at a very young age. I tried to integrate her a couple of months ago and she ripped out feathers on the EE, I had to treat the wound and waited until the EE healed and grew feathers back before trying to integrate the delaware again. I don't want to get rid of her until I have tried the peepers but do I need to wait until she's fully grown for them to fit?

Last edited:
I would try it, I think it will be obvious if they can't fit. Different birds grow at different rates and into different sizes.
Ok! Do you know of any pro tips or videos showing how to put them on? I know how they work, I'm just worried that the chicken will make a sudden move and I'll install them wrong or hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom