Pinless peepers, help!

Mark94

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
Montenegro
Hi!
I've been having feather eating problem for the past 2 months, I have tried everything but 2 of my hens just don't want to stop the bad habit. I got some pinless peepers (never used those before), so I saw few vids. and I put it on a hen, she was squeeking like she was in pain. Is that normal? I let her go with it on and she started jumping and trying to get it off with her feet, guess what... She managed to get it off. So I put it on her again, it was holding solid this time, she tried everything but nope. When I took a closer look, I saw a bit of blood on her beak so I felt sorry seeing her stunned I panicked and took it off of her... I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what... I really want these 2, bad chickens to stop picking on others, the rest of my flock is getting balder and balder... Any help, am I doing it wrong or?

I've used them on pheasants and didn't notice any blood. They don't like them though.
How many hens do you have that they are pecking on?
What protein do you feed your birds? I heard too low of protein makes them peck feathers.
Can you separate the peckers from the other birds?

I've used them on pheasants and didn't notice any blood. They don't like them though.
How many hens do you have that they are pecking on?
What protein do you feed your birds? I heard too low of protein makes them peck feathers.
Can you separate the peckers from the other birds?
7 hens + 2 pickers, they don't pick on the dominant hen, not even a single feather is missing off her, these 2 just pluck and eat feathers off of other hens their age. I think they do it out of boredom, I feed them protein 17%, I changed it to 22% it didn't help, I added some things to entertain them when they are in the run, nothing helped... I don't have any place to separate them...

7 hens + 2 pickers, they don't pick on the dominant hen, not even a single feather is missing off her, these 2 just pluck and eat feathers off of other hens their age. I think they do it out of boredom, I feed them protein 17%, I changed it to 22% it didn't help, I added some things to entertain them when they are in the run, nothing helped... I don't have any place to separate them...
Since you only have 6 hens to protect can you try buying and putting on some hen saddles?

Also very controversial but you could try trimming the top beak. My dad used to do it.
I had to cull a purebred Bielefelder hen because she would not stop eating eggs. So you may consider that....

Since you only have 6 hens to protect can you try buying and putting on some hen saddles?
I don't think it would help. They ravaged their vents and now they changed to their neck and back...
I don't think it would help... They plucked all of their vent feathers now they changed to their neck and back area... I guess I will just let them keep those peepers on cause I'm really sick of them hurting other innocent hens... One question, is there a specific area of the nostrils to put them on? Like, do I put it in the beginning or the end of the nostril? Does it matter?

I don't think it would help. They ravaged their vents and now they changed to their neck and back...

I don't think it would help... They plucked all of their vent feathers now they changed to their neck and back area... I guess I will just let them keep those peepers on cause I'm really sick of them hurting other innocent hens... One question, is there a specific area of the nostrils to put them on? Like, do I put it in the beginning or the end of the nostril? Does it matter?
I don't think it matters, did yours come with any information?

'I just got my bag of pp's. I did use them years ago. I have 3 BR's , and one of them is ripping the head feathers of my Houdans and a few Polish. My 5 Houdans have actually had a change in behavior and some of them get bloody scalps ! I have had enough.

I found out that the PP's -I can't put them on myself. So I will snag hubs tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom