Pinless Peepers Injuries

PsychoChickenLady

Songster
6 Years
Aug 11, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
UPDATE: She seems fine today. No swelling, no breathing problems. I think that she just decided to join the other two and give me a hard time this week. (One yelled at me until she lost her voice and another decided that she wants to be a rooster ~ or something).

A couple of weeks ago I put Pinless Peepers on one of my overly aggressive hens. (We have 10 RSL layers, no rooster).

I took them off two nights ago (I felt bad because she couldn't jump up and catch gnats like the rest of the hens). Plus, I was hoping that after two weeks she'd learned a lesson and earned parole.

The first night she was fine, nothing seemed wrong.

Yesterday afternoon I thought she had injured her right nare. She wouldn't let me grab her to check and honestly it didn't seem to bother her, whatever it was, so I just left her alone.

Last night at bedtime, I noticed that she looks swollen at what would be, I guess, the bridge of her nose.

Did the Pinless Peepers cause this?? She is otherwise acting normal, eating, pooping, laying, playing etc.

What can I do to help her?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20210514-205748.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210514-205748.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 1621079537101.jpg
    1621079537101.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 1621079775770.jpg
    1621079775770.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
@sourland might know. I have never used pinless peepers. What brand did you use or where did you get them?
I am not sure where exactly they came from. I ordered them off Amazon. Initially I ordered a pkg of 100 for around $15 (which finally arrived, minus the pliers), but when they were going to take too long to get here, I ordered apkg of 10 for around $30. It was that pkg of 10 that the peepers came from.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-101540_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210515-101540_Chrome.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 36
I had this problem on the one hen I tried this on. While they do work, the damage they inflicted on the hen wasn’t worth it. Mine also had the swollen nares, and bleeding. I won’t use them again.
I’m in this position now. Hen wore them for just over a week and now has swollen nares and bruised beak at the point where the comb comes down. Feel awful that I’ve hurt her like this. Definitely won’t be using them again and I’d recommend others not to. All reviews said they don’t hurt and don’t cause damage. They are not easy to apply and maybe I hadn’t put them in correctly, but won’t be using them again.

I put them in all 16 of my hens used small and large depending on the size of bird and after 2 weeks also noticed some damage. I just took them off and almost all hens are showing some kind of damage from the peepers. I will be keeping a close eye on them for healing and infection. But I agree I feel absolutely horrible as the reviews made it seem as though they were safe. I will not be using them again.

Back
Top Bottom