Pinless peeprs

Wrap her snugly in a towel to confine wings and feet. If you can, cover her eyes, not easy, but it will go faster. Line the peeper up with her nares and then release slightly. If one of the prongs misses the target, you will still have it under control of the pliers and can slightly adjust it to slip in.

If your hen struggles and ends up with a slight injury from the prong, smooth on some antibiotic ointment. In fact, you can do that first, then install the peepers. They may slip in easier.

Wrap her snugly in a towel to confine wings and feet. If you can, cover her eyes, not easy, but it will go faster. Line the peeper up with her nares and then release slightly. If one of the prongs misses the target, you will still have it under control of the pliers and can slightly adjust it to slip in.

If your hen struggles and ends up with a slight injury from the prong, smooth on some antibiotic ointment. In fact, you can do that first, then install the peepers. They may slip in easier.
Thanks for the tips! By nares I'm assuming nostrils?

Yes. Nostrils on chickens are called nares.

A word of caution from a chicken keeper who has employed peepers over the years. Long term use, over months rather than weeks, risks irritating the nares to the point that the chicken's body may respond to the irritation to their nares by developing extra tissue around them. This can cause breathing difficulty. It can also become permanent. My advice is to note the date you installed the peepers and limit the period of use to no more than six weeks at a stretch.

Soak the peepers in very hot water to soften. Practice flexing them. We don't feel a tool is necessary. Have a partner to hold chicken firmly. Don't be daunted by the fact that the chicken will react by trying to take them off for several minutes. They get used to them.....this hen wore them for about 6 months, after which I took them off, and her bullying behavior never did resume.

Attachments

• peepers.jpg
    peepers.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 9
Yes. Nostrils on chickens are called nares.

A word of caution from a chicken keeper who has employed peepers over the years. Long term use, over months rather than weeks, risks irritating the nares to the point that the chicken's body may respond to the irritation to their nares by developing extra tissue around them. This can cause breathing difficulty. It can also become permanent. My advice is to note the date you installed the peepers and limit the period of use to no more than six weeks at a stretch.
Is there a 'cooldown time' between when you can reinstall the nares after that period?

Soak the peepers in very hot water to soften. Practice flexing them. We don't feel a tool is necessary. Have a partner to hold chicken firmly. Don't be daunted by the fact that the chicken will react by trying to take them off for several minutes. They get used to them.....this hen wore them for about 6 months, after which I took them off, and her bullying behavior never did resume.

Back
Top Bottom