Pip close to pointy end day 19

I have a mess. I have multiple eggs that were added to a setting hen's clutch, so no way to know what day/stage they are at. The hens traded spots a time or 2, so there are 3 chicks hatched already and that hen has stopped brooding the remainder. I brought them in to my really sorry attempt at an incubator to try to finish the remaining 3 eggs. Worst planned chickraising scheme ever!

okay, now that that is out of the way, one of the 3 remaining eggs looked like it got stepped on or otherwise smacked on one side, when I found it there was a miniscule spot of dried blood on the membrane and lots of shell fragments gone from around the edge. Chick is alive and peeping. I'm trying to keep humidity high, misting. covering, keeping warm. I do have a combo temp/humidity gauge in there, but it has been drier than 30% occasionally, and I try to bring it up to 65 or more. Really bad setup, I know. What can I do to help this chick, how would I know to stop assisting if he's not ready, and how long can they be peeping ahead of final hatching readiness? Thanks for swallowing your disgust at my ineptitude! Feel free to chew me out along with advice, I promise not to be offended! :)
Well, not knowing how far along puts a big hinderance to sound advice, so the advice that you are given you'll have to make your own judgement call on wether to use it or not based on what you are experiencing with the chick. In an unharmed egg (in cases where you hear peeping within the shell) it is after the chick makes it's internal pip. Usually somewhere between a few hours to a day before you see the external pip. This is what I would do. Not knowing what day they were on or how advanced into the hatch process it is, I woud take a wet paper towel and wrap around 3/4 of the egg, leaving the spot where the shell is missing upright and replace him to the "incubator" and give him time to see what happens naturally.

Now, if you assist. You know it's time to stop when there is active bleeding from the veining in the membranes and/or you spot unabsorbed yolk. Assisting should be done slowly and a little at a time replacing the chick to the bator (I prefer to keep a wet/damp paper towel around the back of the egg.) for periods of rest and to give the chick a chance to make it's own progress.

I wish you well, but realistically, w/out knowing the incubation period he's at, without knowing how much damage the chick itself has sustained and w/o a proper incubator with constant adequate humidity, the probability for a healthy hatch is pretty low. But that doesn't mean we can't try.

I promise, none of this was there 2 hrs ago! Original pip was on opposite side. This got bigger while I was finding the camera!

Thank you for replying so soon. I knew I would get sound realistic advice, even on a hairbrained situation like mine! I searched this site for maybe an hour before posting my request, so it's been 2 hrs since I last checked/misted, the peeps then were a little pathetic compared to now. Just now went in the laundry room to the makeshift incubator and stopped to listen. Cracking and encouraging chipping noises! Lifted lid for a peek and a re-mist. Papertowel under the pipper was still very damp and he's a'rockin' and a peepin'! I could see the membrane move and hear lots of cracking, so gently turned to look at other side, and it looks like he's pipped another spot over there and zipping, a good 3/4 inch line of excavation! Oh, boy am I relieved! Replaced to let Pippy Longsuffering do his/her thing! I just didn't know how far in advance of a normal pip they could reasonably be peeping if that first hole was from a toenail of the hen or some other hen's peck. Now I'm thinking it may have been his own pip over a vessel after all (after reading lots on this wonderful helpful site and such kind and knowledgeable members). Hopefully he will make it unassisted, I don't see any need to mess with it other than to maintain humidity now for a good 24 hrs.

I promise, none of this was there 2 hrs ago! Original pip was on opposite side. This got bigger while I was finding the camera!

Thank you for replying so soon. I knew I would get sound realistic advice, even on a hairbrained situation like mine! I searched this site for maybe an hour before posting my request, so it's been 2 hrs since I last checked/misted, the peeps then were a little pathetic compared to now. Just now went in the laundry room to the makeshift incubator and stopped to listen. Cracking and encouraging chipping noises! Lifted lid for a peek and a re-mist. Papertowel under the pipper was still very damp and he's a'rockin' and a peepin'! I could see the membrane move and hear lots of cracking, so gently turned to look at other side, and it looks like he's pipped another spot over there and zipping, a good 3/4 inch line of excavation! Oh, boy am I relieved! Replaced to let Pippy Longsuffering do his/her thing! I just didn't know how far in advance of a normal pip they could reasonably be peeping if that first hole was from a toenail of the hen or some other hen's peck. Now I'm thinking it may have been his own pip over a vessel after all (after reading lots on this wonderful helpful site and such kind and knowledgeable members). Hopefully he will make it unassisted, I don't see any need to mess with it other than to maintain humidity now for a good 24 hrs.
That looks real good!! If you want to help motivate him, play this near the "bator" :

0.jpg

Some people have “ideal” situations. I seem to have a lot of situations “I deal” with. Seems like you are in one of those situations. Don’t beat yourself up over it. Life happens.

Sounds like you are doing well. Just keep the humidity up and be patient hard as that is. That membrane looks a little dry so keep working on the humidity.

Some of those chicks prove to be really tough. Getting just one to hatch will be a big success. Good luck!

Oh my, that was fast! I guess when you make up your mind to do something, why you just do it! From one little pip spot that stayed the same for over 24 hrs and had been cooled off too much too many times, to this within less than 4 hrs. I promise I did nothing besides raise humidity and moisten the first membrane exposure (probably not even enough). So relieved and encouraged. Maybe I can sneak him back in under momma tonight.

Oh my, that was fast! I guess when you make up your mind to do something, why you just do it! From one little pip spot that stayed the same for over 24 hrs and had been cooled off too much too many times, to this within less than 4 hrs. I promise I did nothing besides raise humidity and moisten the first membrane exposure (probably not even enough). So relieved and encouraged. Maybe I can sneak him back in under momma tonight.
clap.gif
He looks good!!

He's strong and moving around upright a lot. I got some more secure foooting under him now. I tried to post a 10 sec video, but it only lets me link youtube. Any way to get video on here, or just still pics? That still pic was a screen shot of the video I took.

He's strong and moving around upright a lot. I got some more secure foooting under him now. I tried to post a 10 sec video, but it only lets me link youtube. Any way to get video on here, or just still pics? That still pic was a screen shot of the video I took.
Youtube or vimeo are the only way you put videos up directly to the post.

He's strong and moving around upright a lot.  I got some more secure foooting under him now.  I tried to post a 10 sec video, but it only lets me link youtube.  Any way to get video on here, or just still pics?  That still pic was a screen shot of the video I took.

I missed this in time, glad it worked out! Is that a steamer you're using as an incubator?

It's just a cardboard box, clamping reflector light, spray bottle of water and a combo temp/humidity gauge. I need to rig a Styrofoam cooler up, will hold the humidity so much better. I have paper bowls with clear plastic lids from Qdoba I am using upside down to contain the eggs in the box and try to contain the humidity, been spraying the inside of the paper bowls and putting them back on as lids. thinking it will hold some heat and shade them from the light. Worst setup ever, but I've been able to finish out 3 eggs out of 4 left when the hen quit brooding. They were laid in with her started clutch, so different ages by a few days. Two were pipped last night and one was out and fluffy this morning and the other later today. We have had such bizarre severe weather lately, I haven't made the incubator. Gotta get busy and make it today.

Back
Top Bottom