Pip? Or just me being overly hopeful?

Jen1979

Songster
7 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Perth Hills, Western Australia
My 3 ducks are sitting on their own eggs. It's day 27. We're not sure how many, if any will hatch. I've candled some on the odd occasion all ducks have give for a swim together and I've definitely seen some that look good, but of course I know that doesn't mean it will all turn out rosy!

Anyway, this morning, I saw this. Is this a pip? Or something else, or nothing at all! :)

Doesn't look like a pip to me I'm sorry to say. It looks like it goes inward from the pic. Pips will always be a part of the shell that is pushed outwards. It could just be a little defect in the shell as well.

Also, the egg in the lower left corner looks like it's gone bad (or maybe just really dirty on the outside?). Does it smell at all? If so you should remove it so it doesn't explode on your other eggs. ;)

Thanks :) a few of them are dirty but a couple have dark spots on them - I was wondering if they'd gone bad. I'll grab them out to have a smell the next time they jump off the nest for a swim. It's a little hard to get too close because there's usually one of the ducks on the nest at all times, but once a day they head off for a swim.

There's this one I just noticed. I still don't know whether this is even anything or whether the ducks have somehow damaged the egg themselves! I did see one egg moving about on it's own a little while ago though :)

Back
Top Bottom