pip to hatch..how long

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RockyToggRanch, Sep 18, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have my first pipping, how long before it makes progress, typically? I hear peeping from more than one and several are wiggling.

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    It can take up to 24 hrs from first pip before some will hatch. Sometimes its not even the first pipper that hatches, but usually if you notice pips today, there will be chicks tomorrow!

3. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Oh..I will not sleep tonight. Looks like a personal day tomorrow:)

4. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Oh..I will not sleep tonight. Looks like a personal day tomorrow:)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Been there done that! Go to bed and get some sleep; set your alarm for about 5 hours from the time you go to bed. Chickies can last about 8 hours in the incubator okay, just make sure you have air circulating so they have enough. I have noticed with my hatches it can take up to 24 hours, but we have noticed that most take 5 to 8 hours.

Good luck!!! Mine all hatched out overnight and this afternoon... they are doing well!!!!

good night... sweet dreams... [​IMG]

5. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My incubator is in the finished basement. I have ran up and down a million times since I got home today. In between chores and making dinner and such. My legs will be jello by morning. Heck..I should just sleep down there!

6. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG] I was the same way with my first couple of hatches... I take it this is your first one??? It will be okay... has the chickie started unzipping yet? If you do not know, unzipping is when they start working their way around the shell to get out. if it has already started doing this, then it should not be long. Try to get some sleep...

7. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    No, I don't see any sign of that. But now there are 4 pipping and one rocking and peeping! I just don't want to miss it.
    I'm amazes at how loudly they peep from inside!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by