Pip to zip to hatch can it take quite a while?

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
My eggs aren't officially due to hatch until tomorrow. I had one pip and zip really quick last night and I have another that pipped and is zipped almost all the way around but is still not out. I can't tell by looking if its still trying or not. In a few hours it will be 24 hrs since I first saw that one working. Is that too long? Has the little bugger died? Should I do anything?

My humidity has been between 60 and 70 with temps 99-100.

Thanks! Crusty is wanting some company!
CRUSTY.jpg

Since the chick that you had hatch already is pretty sticky I'd see if you can tell if the one that's zipped almost all the way is still moving and breathing. Hopefully it isn't stuck to the shell.

Yeah...I noticed that the chick looks sticky. That is albumen...usually from high humidity, believe it or not. YOu'd think it was from low humidity.

"Causes:
Low average temperature
Average humidity too high.
Inadequate ventilation.

Correction:
Use proper operating temperature.
Maintain proper humidity levels throughout incubation cycle.
Provide adequate ventilation of the incubator room and proper openings of the incubator ventilators."

If it were me, I would lower my humidity to about 50%. Make sure all your vents are open and that your temp remains around 100 degrees (if forced air) or 102 degrees (if still air)

Your eggs should feel very light...like picking up a chick...if they have lost the proper amount of water.

Yes, it can take a long time. However, I would check the one that has zipped and make sure it is still alive. I had a LARGE NHR chick that zipped 3/4 of the way, then just quit and died. At the same time, they need to have whatever time they need to absorb their yolk.

Thanks so much for the tips! I thought the humidity the last 3 days was supposed to be about 65%. I've probably got it too high.
I'm going to remove some more vents now and check on the one that hasn't done much.

So my humidity is not high enough?
idunno.gif

Darn, I don't know what I'm supposed to have it at now. I'm going to leave it alone. It's at 64% now and the one is still peeping away.

I need to check on that first one that zipped as I don't think it made it.

Tomorrow is supposed to be official hatch day so I'll just keep my fingers crossed til then.
fl.gif

Thanks for all the tips everyone-

Quote:
Miss Prissy is the hatching guru. The reason I mentioned a lower humidity right now is because of the excessive albumen. Since that usually means too high average humidity. Once you have pips, I agree with increasing it...but I don't usually go more than 65%.

Back
Top Bottom