Pipd's Peeps!

Okay, I'm giving this a shot... The pictures of my babies are over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/2018-babies-8-9-weeks-old.7428490/

Not sure I like this whole thing... I might go with just an article next time. Either way it opens the door for unneeded and unwanted ratings. I've been getting a lot of those lately. To be honest, I'd rather not add anything that can be rated as such. I see the use... but I dislike it. I'd rather people just commented and told me what needs improvement rather than giving me a random, out-of-the-blue 3-star rating without anything I can work from for improvement. But, I digress...

Anyway, the babies survived their first night in the coop somehow. :hit And they were doing fabulously as always, right up until I went out to check on them at around noon, and little Ida had blood from the left side of her head down almost to her chest. :eek: After cleaning her up a bit, I realized that there was no wound on her head--she had broken a nail on her left foot, and then used that foot to scratch her head. :th She's all cleaned up now, and I ended up having to remove the nail and use blood-stop powder. She wasn't happy about it, but she's doing good now, and it hasn't caused her any hesitation about hanging out around my feet. :love

EDIT: Yeah, I don't like it. At minimum, I want their individual pictures here, so here they are:

Blue band Silkied:

Blue band silkied.jpg

Pink band:

Pink band.jpg

Little Roxanne :love

Roxanne.jpg

Myrna:

Myrna.jpg

Kita:

Kita.jpg

Blue band Mottled:

Blue band mottled.jpg

Green band:

Green band.jpg

Li'l Miss Ida :love :love

Ida.jpg

Mr. Orange Band:

Orange band.jpg

Mr. Purple Band:

Purple band.jpg

And White Band:

White band.jpg

I'm having the hardest time coming up with names for these babies! Little Green band keeps getting called 'Freckles' because of her freckles, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to be a permanent name. The others, I just don't know! Guess I just need to give it more time. :)

Anyway, there are some more pictures of them over here as well, if anyone wants to see them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/2018-babies-8-9-weeks-old.7428490/

Last edited:
Ok, well I am watching the album now. Hopefully, I get the notification. I haven't gotten one for this thread in awhile. :hmm
Looks like you have been busy!

Aw, well I hope that works for you! I've seen a lot of complaints about alerts not working on numerous threads for a while now. :hmm Wonder what's going on.

Busy is an understatement! :lol: Physics is definitely keeping me busy, plus I'm running around like a madwoman trying to get things figured out for graduation! I apparently have 6 fewer credits than I should, so I have to take at least that many credit hours worth of classes still before I can graduate. Now my grants aren't coming through because the system doesn't know if I'm an undergraduate or a grad student anymore. :he It's pretty ridiculous at this point. I'm hoping a meeting with my advisor can get everything sorted out!

It's my sneaking suspicion as to why the post box on the previous page was 'broken' for me. Looking back through this thread, the post box appears to be 'broken' for me on the pages that have a lot of pictures. I'm kind of hoping that doesn't happen if I limit the number of pictures I post directly on the board. Of course, if it continues to happen, then all bets are off. :lol:

Hi, y'all! Just wanted to pop in and announce that our little Josephine laid her first egg today!! :celebrate I knew it was coming because her comb came in overnight, and she got super temperamental over the past few weeks! Hopefully she chills out now that she's laying! She laid it on the dropping tray in the back corner, of course. :sick Thank goodness I scooped those yesterday!

Here it is next to her mama and auntie's eggs. Nadine (mama)'s egg on the left and Reinette (auntie)'s egg on the right.

Josephine first egg 7-27-18.jpg

Nadine always puts a thick bloom on her eggs, so I wetted her egg down a bit to show a truer color. Josey's is just a hint darker, but it's pretty much a carbon copy of her mama's first egg. :love I did keep Nadine's first egg, but its color didn't age well--it has almost a grayish tone to it now. Ew.

Josephine first egg w nadine egg wet 7-27-18.jpg

I will get pictures of the girls (and the babies!) this weekend! I'm heading into finals next week, so the homework has lightened up just a bit and I should have plenty of time to do so. :)

Speaking of the babies, I've officially named Green band and tentatively named Blue band mottled. Green band is named Vira, as a sort of inside joke with a couple friends. I could explain, I suppose, but it's not likely that anyone will get it as it involves a character in a pretty small online virtual pet game. :p And Blue band mottled, I'm feeling the name Jasper for her. I know it's traditionally a male name, but it just seems to suit her. That or Casper, but that name is somewhat similar to Cazzie to me, particularly with any potential nicknames it has, and plus it conjures up imagery of friendly ghosts so I'm a bit put off. That means little White band is the last one without a name out of the pullets. I'm still brainstorming on her, and hoping she'll give me some clues as to what to call her.

I'm afraid neither of the mottled boys have good temperaments. Both have taken to hackling up at my feet, and Mr. Orange Band continues to drop a wing at me any chance he gets. Purple band is mean to the pullets, particularly my Dorkings, and that just doesn't fly. They've both been evicted to the big kid flock, where the Marans pullets are making sure they mind their manners. I'm not sure that I want to keep either of them at this point, with their attitudes. :hmm I suppose that's okay, though, as my intention was to cross the pullets into my Silkied line, so maintaining a Mottled line was less important to me. (Although, @Leahs Mom I think you were interested in whether I was keeping one of them, or am I remembering wrong?)

Anyway, pictures to come this weekend! It's getting pretty late here, so good night!

EDIT: Well, I started to take pictures yesterday when I discovered the babies had eaten all their feed and were hungry. No taking good pictures of them all hunched around the feeder! It's rainy today, so it's not likely to happen today, either. And just looking at the forecast, we've got rain likely until Thursday. :he So I'll do my best to get more pictures, but if nothing else, I should have them by Thursday.

Last edited:
Y'all, I have the pictures I promised. I've been having computer problems (unrelated to BYC or anything) so it's slow going getting them cropped to post. I'm trying my hardest. Might have to borrow someone else's computer to do it, though. So much for the shiny new computer I just got less than a year ago. :barnie

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
Will you take the boys to Martins?

I will have to do that with at least 2 Dom boys; maybe all 3 depending on temperament. The big boy has been biting and he started that very young so not a good sign. The other 2 jury is out except that one of them is only about 1/3 the size of the largest of the doms. He's always been tiny and a slow grower.

Yes, any of the boys who aren't staying will be going to Martins. So far, the two Mottled Cochin boys and two of the three Marans boys have tried their darnedest to earn their ticket there, too. :rant And Lucky surprised me yesterday by rushing the fence at me and trying to peck my feet through it, so he may have just made a case for his ticket as well. I really only kept him because he was the least aggressive out of his brothers, and since I now have two more to pick from who are so far neither as friendly nor as aggressive as any of their older brothers were at this age, I have some hope that they'll be better behaved. If I can get them to flock up with their father so that I can pen them all together, I may keep both. But, of course, we still have some time before I can be sure their temperaments will be an improvement on their older brother's.

Sounds to me like your one Dom is doing the same thing as Mr. Orange band Mottled Cochin, so I definitely don't blame you on that. Purple band doesn't bite as much, but he sure likes to take threatening stances and hackle up at my feet as I walk by. :he Darn boys couldn't just behave so I could keep one of them!

I do have the pictures finally--now that they're a week out of date! Not sure what was going on with my computer, but it seems to have finally resolved itself, so it's working like usual now. You know, now that the summer semester is done! :barnie But still, I'm just glad it's working again! Anyway, here are the Silkied Cochin babies from last week, when they were 11 weeks old!

Mr. Blue Band:

Blue band silkied.jpg

Mr. Pink Band:

Pink band.jpg

Little Roxanne :love

Roxanne.jpg

The Mottled Cochin babies at 10 weeks old:

Blue band / Possibly Jasper? I don't know, I'm kind of rethinking that name choice now. I'm not sure why these babies have been so hard to name!

Blue band mottled.jpg

Sweet li'l Ida. :love

Ida.jpg

Mr. Orange Band. Notice how he's standing. :rolleyes:

Orange band.jpg

Mr. Purple Band

Purple band.jpg

Green Band, now Vira, and her eyebrow :lol:

Vira.jpg

And sweet little White Band, who I haven't come up with ANYTHING for yet!

White band.jpg

My sweet Dorkings, also at 10 weeks old:

Myrna. Such a lady! :love

Myrna.jpg

Kita, who didn't want to pose. :rolleyes:

Kita.jpg

And my Marans. They're 5 months old now, so they were about 4 months and 3 weeks old in these pictures, I guess? In numerical order from their 'baby numbers':

Un, the tailess wonder! So far the only one of the boys who's not a jerk!

Un.jpg

Vivienne, who's still solid black. I guess she's going to be a Black Marans?

Vivienne.jpg

Josephine, our egg layer :love She's as difficult to take pictures of as her mother! :rant

Josephine.jpg

Quatre, the biggest jerk of all! :barnie

Quatre.jpg

Mavis! Pretty sure she's going to be the next egg layer of the three. :)

Mavis.jpg

Six, who just recently started to behave like Quatre. At least they make it easier to make the choice about taking them to Martins. :hmm

Six.jpg

Hm, there aren't many posts left on this page, so why not? Here are the rest of the pics I took last weekend! (@Soon2BChixMom I'll put them in the album, too, so let me know if you get an alert for it. :) )

Josephine up close!

Josephine eye.jpg

Here's her 'nest' with an egg in it. If nothing else, her eggs sure are pretty! :love

Josephine egg.jpg

A closer pic of Vira's eyebrow. It just amuses me so much. :lol: Too bad these are juvenile feathers!

Vira eyebrow.jpg

Blue band and White band being cuties :love :love

Blue band mottled and white band cuties.jpg

Ida is super serious!! :eek:

Ida hard stare.jpg

Vira again, saying, "Where's the grub?!"

Vira looking up.jpg

I guess I took a lot of pictures of Vira! :lol: But look at those brows!!

Vira eyebrows.jpg

Lazy chickies sitting on the log again. :love :love

lazy day.jpg

And just a hand full of pictures of the big girls. :) Here is Ihi playing innocent about all those feathers. "Wasn't me!"

Ihi innocence.jpg

A couple shots of Flury Floofle-Poofles. :love

Flury floofles.jpg
Flury serious face.jpg

Elly says, "Drop the camera and make with the cuddles!" :lol:

Elda.jpg

And finally, here is Merlin expressing how I felt last weekend, heading into finals for Physics. :p

Merlin.jpg

What is Martin's?
I am looking for a rooster, but not a mean one. Lol :gig
Never had one yet, so wanting my first rooster to be a good experience.

Back
Top Bottom