Pipd's Peeps!

Just in case any of you questioned that these younger babies are HUUUGE... :p Vega (Baby R from the OEGBs) was jealous of me sitting with the newbies earlier today and flew up to the edge of the brooder to get closer to me. Since she was there, I grabbed Baby G1 and held her up next to Vega to compare their sizes. :eek:

EE baby 2 days old vs OEGB baby 3.5 weeks old 4-21-19.jpg

Aaaand, yes, as you can see in the background, the OEGB babies have been busy trying to tear down their brooder walls and make a mess. :rolleyes: I need to get them set up with a bigger brooder pretty soon anyway. The three for-sure boys are starting to tear each other up. :th

Hi, all! Been a long day of driving to pick up some babies and I haven't taken many pictures yet now that we're home, but I had to share one of the little ones I got from Meyer's today. Oh, man, she's SO FLUFFY!!!
heart eyes.gif

fluffy face.jpg

I'll get their individual pictures soon. There are four of them, all Easter-eggers, but two are bantams (so straight run) and two are large fowl pullets (including miss floofy face :love ). They went right into the bin with the three hatchees from my flock. Baby B2 was VERY vocal about these commoners being added to his brooder, though now that things have settled down they all seem to be getting along fabulously. There's a whole lot of cute in that baby bin... And also, not a lot of room! :eek: I'm going to have to figure out a bigger brooder for them real quick!

Okay, here are the new kids!! :love They all have little nicknames based on their appearances until I decide on real names for them. First, the bantams. Please note, the bantams are straight run, but I'll be calling them she/her until proven otherwise. :p I call this one 'silvery' because she's sort of silvery in person:

EEB-Silvery side.jpg

EEB-Silvery back.jpg

This one is 'Yellowish', otherwise known as fluffy-twin because she looks a lot like her large fowl broodmate with the super fluffy face:

EEB-Yellow side.jpg

EEB-Yellow back.jpg

The large fowl babies, who are sexed, so they should both be pullets--but we all know how that goes. ;) Anyway, this one is 'dark brown' or 'brownie'. See the tiny spot on her head? I wonder if that means she'll be barred?

EEP-Brown side.jpg

EEP-Brown back.jpg

And, finally, here she is in all her glory! Miss Floofy Face!! :love

EEP-Yellow side.jpg

EEP-Yellow back.jpg

I can not get enough of those cheeks!! :love

EEP-Yellow face.jpg

I totally blanked on getting a group shot of all of them, so instead, as a bonus pic, here is G1 working the 'tude back in the brooder. I had to scold her earlier for pulling on her new siblings' toes. Apparently, non-feathered toes look like food. :th

Workin the tude.jpg

Oh, yes, and an outtake of floofy face. I so wish this had been more in focus! Isn't she fabulous? :love

outtake - EEP-Yellow fabulous.jpg

Okay, so the OEGB babies are 4 weeks old today! To celebrate, they got a major upgrade in both their outside pen (so that they can stay outside without me having to sit with them the whole time) and their brooder. No pics of the outside pen, but here's the new brooder. The corner that's blocked off is so that I can move the Easter babies over there when they outgrow the baby bin, which will be very soon the rate they're going! :eek: I'm thinking the OEGB boys will have to be moved to a separate pen before I combine the broods to keep those babies safe, as those boys are getting rowdy (heck, I may have to separate the boys from each other--you'll see what I mean in their individual pictures). Anyway, the new digs for the OEGBs:

new digs.jpg

Here are their individual pictures! I finally remembered to actually label the pictures rather than try to sort them after the fact and put their names above them. :p

Here are the fellas. They've been duking it out so much lately, they're tearing each other's combs up, especially poor Rigel! :barnie

Rigel.jpg
Rigel face.jpg

Achernar.jpg
Achernar face.jpg

Toliman.jpg
Toli face.jpg

And the girls. Yep, you heard me correctly! Altair's salmon chest feathers have finally come in enough for me to feel confident officially calling her a girl! :D Here they are :love

Vega.jpg
Vega face.jpg
Altair.jpg

(She was not happy about being separate from her broodmates for her pictures :p)

Altair face.jpg

I also tried to get group pictures of the EE babies since I neglected to do so on Monday. I say 'tried' because... Well, put 7 chicks in unfamiliar surroundings and try to get them all to pose for the camera. :p Yeah, it didn't go so well! First two pictures are of just the four Meyer Easter-eggers. The first one's a bit out of focus, but I mean, that brown baby's face :love

Meyer EEs 1.jpg
Meyer EEs 2.jpg

And then, all heck broke loose when I brought the three home-hatched Easter-egger out of the brooder to the paper towel studio. :th It was like trying to get seven tiny versions of my ADHD 7-year-old nephew to sit still.

Miss Poofy-face made this one worth sharing because she's just way too stinkin' cute :love :love (Little poofy-twin is in there somewhere...)

whole lotta cute.jpg

Then, Miss Poofy-face, herself, wrecked this one by turning away. :rolleyes: So, so close...

there's always that one friend.jpg

...And many more of the same.
facepalm head shake.gif
So, here's the closest I got to a good group picture of these rambunctious little stinkers with all of their faces visible. Oh, those cheeks! :love

close enough.jpg

Little Silvery EE bantam looks like her outer toes may be curling a bit. :hmm I'm going to keep an eye on her for a bit longer, but I may just have to make her some fancy footwear to straighten those out. Here's hoping I'm just seeing things, huh? :fl

And that's it! I'm wiped out, so good night, all! :)

Moving day! These babies were getting WAY too big for the baby bin and really needed more space! Also, this was happening. :rolleyes:

a sign that we're too big.jpg

So, now they have more room! Not quite twice as much space as the baby bin, I don't think, but quite a bit more! :D

brooder full view.jpg

It took them no time at all to adjust to the pine shavings. Smart babies! Usually I have to convince them that they're not scary. :p

big kid brooder 1.jpg
big kid brooder 2.jpg

They were less enthusiastic about their new neighbors, however. Brownie-bite with her little gasp. :p

Brownie gasp.jpg
the babies meet the boys.jpg

Achernar discovers the wonder that is Miss Poofy-face's poofiness. :gig

so fluffy.jpg

"So... Fluffy..."

poofy face.jpg

They were mingling pretty well through the fence by the time I left. :love With any luck, the divider can come down within the next week. :fl

mingling.jpg

Speaking of the 'big kids', however, poor Rigel is missing a chunk of his comb now. :hmm

Rigel's comb 4-26-19.jpg

I'm keeping a close eye on things, but I may just remove Achernar and Toliman when I take down the divider between them and the babies, maybe even sooner. Achernar is definitely the ringleader when it comes to starting fights and picking on Rigel. Toli's not so bad, but does participate when Acher gets stirred, and poor Rigel ends up isolating himself from the others to avoid them. Removing both makes it less likely that my bitties will be bullied, and Acher and Toli won't be completely alone. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, on the bitties and their weekly pictures, I'm going to start taking their weeklies on Saturdays so that I can do all seven at once rather than half one day and half a couple days later. This *should* be a day late for the EHAL babes and a day early for the Meyer babes, putting it right in the middle of their hatch dates. I'm not sure if the Meyer babies hatch on Sundays or Mondays, but it's close enough. In other words, individual pictures of the babies will come a bit later today. :p

Moving day! These babies were getting WAY too big for the baby bin and really needed more space! Also, this was happening. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1754093

So, now they have more room! Not quite twice as much space as the baby bin, I don't think, but quite a bit more! :D

View attachment 1754096

It took them no time at all to adjust to the pine shavings. Smart babies! Usually I have to convince them that they're not scary. :p

View attachment 1754094 View attachment 1754095

They were less enthusiastic about their new neighbors, however. Brownie-bite with her little gasp. :p

View attachment 1754097 View attachment 1754101

Achernar discovers the wonder that is Miss Poofy-face's poofiness. :gig

View attachment 1754100

"So... Fluffy..."

View attachment 1754099

They were mingling pretty well through the fence by the time I left. :love With any luck, the divider can come down within the next week. :fl

View attachment 1754098

Speaking of the 'big kids', however, poor Rigel is missing a chunk of his comb now. :hmm

View attachment 1754092

I'm keeping a close eye on things, but I may just remove Achernar and Toliman when I take down the divider between them and the babies, maybe even sooner. Achernar is definitely the ringleader when it comes to starting fights and picking on Rigel. Toli's not so bad, but does participate when Acher gets stirred, and poor Rigel ends up isolating himself from the others to avoid them. Removing both makes it less likely that my bitties will be bullied, and Acher and Toli won't be completely alone. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, on the bitties and their weekly pictures, I'm going to start taking their weeklies on Saturdays so that I can do all seven at once rather than half one day and half a couple days later. This *should* be a day late for the EHAL babes and a day early for the Meyer babes, putting it right in the middle of their hatch dates. I'm not sure if the Meyer babies hatch on Sundays or Mondays, but it's close enough. In other words, individual pictures of the babies will come a bit later today. :p
They look lkie they are doing great! They should combine well later too

I hope so, anyway! Actually, I think they'll be fine, especially if Acher and Toli are separated. Just the size similarity despite their age difference should help a lot. Those OEGBs are so tiny, even compared to the Easter-egger bantams! :eek:

I have their individual pictures now, taken in the NEW and IMPROVED paper towel studio set up on my desk so I don't have to bend over as much to get to it. :p Will upload them here in a bit, but for now, I'm looking at supper!
lets eat fork knife bounce.gif

Back
Top Bottom