Pipd's Peeps!

What is the percentage of accuracy on that? Most of the not official methods are 75%

Meyer's actually changed their sexing guarantee to 100% this year, not because their accuracy is 100%, but because they now refund for any sexing mistakes. It's hard to say. :idunno I think they said that sexing was 90% accurate last year. I've only ever had one mistake in all the years getting chicks from them if that's any indication, though several times I was sure they had gotten it wrong. :p

(P.S. I'm cropping those photos now, will post them in a few minutes! :oops: )

Meyer's actually changed their sexing guarantee to 100% this year, not because their accuracy is 100%, but because they now refund for any sexing mistakes. It's hard to say. :idunno I think they said that sexing was 90% accurate last year. I've only ever had one mistake in all the years getting chicks from them if that's any indication, though several times I was sure they had gotten it wrong. :p

(P.S. I'm cropping those photos now, will post them in a few minutes! :oops: )
Nice!

Was that for color sexing or vent sexing?

No idea! :p I assume vent sexing on these guys, maybe wing sexing.

Pictures! Today was finally, finally a sunny day after what feels like a lifetime of rain! Since rain is in the forecast for this week, I figured it was now or never! They'd been exposed to soil a little more than a week ago, so they should be fine. :) Anyway, I brought the OEGB babies out as well and they were much better behaved, just a couple times where the boys decided they didn't want the babies near them. Must have been distracted by the excitement of being outside again after all that rain!

Anyway, finally, here are the pictures! They're all kinds of out of order, so I'm just going to wing it. :p

As is typical, their first reaction to the outside world was... refusing to come out to the outside world. :lol:

1 whole lotta nope.jpg

After a bit, a few of them started getting brave...

first appearance.jpg
brownie unsure.jpg
getting braver.jpg

...Until I finally dumped them out and took the box away. :p

a whole new world.jpg

Lots of scary new stuff out here! Of course, some of them adjusted faster and were head down pecking right away. :love

peepers on the loose.jpg

Sybil, in the pen next door, seemed VERY interested in what the chicks were doing. After some reflection, I realized she was actually interested in the box I brought those babies out in--she needed to lay an egg right away! :eek:

Sybil checking out the peeps.jpg

Altair and Vega were also interested in the box... Looks like Altair's wanting barbecue chips, while Vega's eying the Cheetos. :p

Vega and Altair chip selection.jpg

Back to the babies, my poofy-faced peeper needed a bit of reassurance about all this scary new stuff around her. :love

poofy needs reassurance.jpg

It's all too much to bear! Time to sleep it off! :p

sleepy poofy.jpg

At some point, I looked up and Achernar was trying to fight with his father through the fence! :eek: Of course, Winston wasn't going to let some young whippersnapper show him up. He looked like an umbrella! :lol:

like father like son.jpg

Poofy discovers the perch in the pen. She is confused at why she's so tall now. :lol:

poofy confusion.jpg

...And then she decides to own it. :love

derpy poofy.jpg

Silvery, checking out the greenery:

scared silvery.jpg

Vega, also checking out the greenery. :p

Vega perched.jpg

These Silkie mixes never miss an opportunity for a dust bath! The ground is damp, how are you dust bathing?! :idunno

trying to dust bathe.jpg

Last picture (I think? Edit, yup it is! :yesss: )--more poofy cuteness. :love :love

poofy cuteness.jpg

I got fed up with the boys earlier and moved them to a new pen while I was letting the two baby flocks mingle. Miss Poofy had taken a flying leap over the barrier, spacey as she is sometimes, and then practically jammed herself half way through the fence trying to get away from Achernar and Toliman, who were being pretty brutal. Boy, I was sure I was going to leave them in that new pen, too, they had me so ticked! :tongue But, unfortunately, Altair is still not exactly being gentle with the younger babies, so instead of just pulling the barrier entirely and having the girls stay with the babies, I adjusted the partition to divide the brooder right down the middle. Now there's plenty of room for the Easter-egger babies on their side, and hopefully everything is far enough away to slow down Brownie, Tank, and Poofy from launching off of things over the barrier and into the sharks' den! If not, then I guess the boys will just have to go to their other pen. :hmm

In other news, the reason why I'm so late posting this is that I gave the big girl flock a check over and butt-trimming where necessary to clean up poopy feathers on some of them. I don't know that this is necessary information to share with the world, but I like to make note of little things like that so that I can gauge things like timing in between when trimmings are needed. :p

No idea! :p I assume vent sexing on these guys, maybe wing sexing.

Pictures! Today was finally, finally a sunny day after what feels like a lifetime of rain! Since rain is in the forecast for this week, I figured it was now or never! They'd been exposed to soil a little more than a week ago, so they should be fine. :) Anyway, I brought the OEGB babies out as well and they were much better behaved, just a couple times where the boys decided they didn't want the babies near them. Must have been distracted by the excitement of being outside again after all that rain!

Anyway, finally, here are the pictures! They're all kinds of out of order, so I'm just going to wing it. :p

As is typical, their first reaction to the outside world was... refusing to come out to the outside world. :lol:

View attachment 1764999

After a bit, a few of them started getting brave...

View attachment 1765004 View attachment 1765002 View attachment 1765005

...Until I finally dumped them out and took the box away. :p

View attachment 1765000

Lots of scary new stuff out here! Of course, some of them adjusted faster and were head down pecking right away. :love

View attachment 1765007

Sybil, in the pen next door, seemed VERY interested in what the chicks were doing. After some reflection, I realized she was actually interested in the box I brought those babies out in--she needed to lay an egg right away! :eek:

View attachment 1765013

Altair and Vega were also interested in the box... Looks like Altair's wanting barbecue chips, while Vega's eying the Cheetos. :p

View attachment 1765015

Back to the babies, my poofy-faced peeper needed a bit of reassurance about all this scary new stuff around her. :love

View attachment 1765010

It's all too much to bear! Time to sleep it off! :p

View attachment 1765012

At some point, I looked up and Achernar was trying to fight with his father through the fence! :eek: Of course, Winston wasn't going to let some young whippersnapper show him up. He looked like an umbrella! :lol:

View attachment 1765006

Poofy discovers the perch in the pen. She is confused at why she's so tall now. :lol:

View attachment 1765008

...And then she decides to own it. :love

View attachment 1765003

Silvery, checking out the greenery:

View attachment 1765011

Vega, also checking out the greenery. :p

View attachment 1765016

These Silkie mixes never miss an opportunity for a dust bath! The ground is damp, how are you dust bathing?! :idunno

View attachment 1765014

Last picture (I think? Edit, yup it is!)--more poofy cuteness. :love :love

View attachment 1765009

I got fed up with the boys earlier and moved them to a new pen while I was letting the two baby flocks mingle. Miss Poofy had taken a flying leap over the barrier, spacey as she is sometimes, and then practically jammed herself half way through the fence trying to get away from Achernar and Toliman, who were being pretty brutal. Boy, I was sure I was going to leave them in that new pen, too, they had me so ticked! :tongue But, unfortunately, Altair is still not exactly being gentle with the younger babies, so instead of just pulling the barrier entirely and having the girls stay with the babies, I adjusted the partition to divide the brooder right down the middle. Now there's plenty of room for the Easter-egger babies on their side, and hopefully everything is far enough away to slow down Brownie, Tank, and Poofy from launching off of things over the barrier and into the sharks' den! If not, then I guess the boys will just have to go to their other pen. :hmm

In other news, the reason why I'm so late posting this is that I gave the big girl flock a check over and butt-trimming where necessary to clean up poopy feathers on some of them. I don't know that this is necessary information to share with the world, but I like to make note of little things like that so that I can gauge things like timing in between when trimmings are needed. :p
They look great!

You have been very busy for sure

They look great!

You have been very busy for sure

Thanks! :) Not too busy, but trying to keep busy! Without classes every day, I feel like I have sooo much free time to kill, especially now that it's getting nice out!

Beautiful chicks with an obvious taste for cheetos and lays products - me too!

Haha, same! :p I don't know what the deal is, but every time I leave that box out there with them, they spend about half their time just pecking at the pictures of the potato chip bags. :confused: Weird little birds. :lol:

Speaking of them, y'all, I totally blanked on cropping and uploading their 6-week pictures, but I did take the pictures of the OEGB babies on time yesterday! Not that a day will make that much of a difference for them, of course! Right now, I have Acher, Toli, and Rigel in a separate pen, and Vega and Altair are in with the babies unless they and their brothers are outside. They are TINY compared to those babies and they're twice their age!! :th Anyway, Tank figured out he (yes, definitely HE) is bigger than them and was bullying them, so he's had to be separated within the brooder so he can't bully the OEGB girls. Altair is still pretty snippy with the rest of the babies, but with all the room they have, they've got plenty of places to run away from her, so I think they're okay. :)

Anyway, here are the OEGB boys. I switched their leg bands out for the 9mms, the biggest I have. They're juuust big enough that the bands don't slip off their legs. Rigel, I just decided to stop banding because, well, he's easy to tell from the others. :p Toli and Acher are tricky to distinguish without those bands, though, so they need them.

Achernar.jpg
Achernar face.jpg
Toliman.jpg
Toliman face.jpg
Rigel.jpg
Rigel face.jpg

And, my girls! They are still in the 7mm bands, which are not as tight as they look on them in these pictures. ;) They are so sweet! :love When I sit in the brooder with the babies, they're always sitting on my lap pretty much the whole time, cuddling. :love :love

Altair.jpg
Altair face.jpg

(Vega didn't want to stand still... :rolleyes: )

Vega.jpg
Vega face.jpg

Oh my word, I forgot to post the EE babies' pictures, too! :th Luckily, I'm still up finishing my mom's Mother's Day gift (no-bake orange cream cheesecake :drool ) and since I have some time (waiting on the topping to set), I quickly cropped their pictures to post. Okay, it's after midnight here, but it's still the 11th somewhere, right? :p

These babies are 3 weeks old, there around. :love I have some tentative guesses on most of them as far as their sex. I'll include those with their pictures where applicable. :) As for names... I had decided last week that at least the pullets would be named by today, but, well, long story short it didn't happen. I keep sitting with them and scrolling through names, 'test-driving' them, and then deciding against them. I have some strong contenders for the girls' names that I grabbed while at my computer, which I'll be testing on them tomorrow during their socialization time. We'll see, huh? A large part of the rest of them not being named is, well, my current gender guesses. :hmm You'll see, here:

Starting with the home-hatchers in hatch order, here is B2, nickname 'Bluie'. She's much smaller than the other two, but man, that comb has been huge since she emerged from the shell! Still, it has remained pretty flat despite how wide it is... Guess: unsure.

B2 Bluie.jpg
B2 Face.jpg

G1, Tank, the Cochin mix. His comb has taken on a lovely hint of pink and is already starting to grow. Also, he's HUGE and those feet could probably hold up a tank, big as they are in person! Guess: Cockerel, and I'm pretty sure of that.

G1 Tank.jpg
G1 Face.jpg

G2, nickname Greenie, who is about the size of Tank now. No comb development, but that can be written off as her Silkie half in action. There is a hint of reddishness coming in on those shoulders, though... Guess: unsure.

G2 Greenie.jpg
G2 Face.jpg

The Meyer Easter-eggers. LET ME TELL Y'ALL, I will NEVER complain about the OEGB babies not cooperating for their pictures anymore!! Poofy was a perfect angel, of course, other than her need to cuddle and smush her beard against me (goodness, she's cute! :love ), but the rest of them! :barnie I was chasing them around the room, holding them in place, taking picture after picture of them moving juuust out of frame or out of focus... It was a total disaster! The following (other than Poofy) is the best I could do with them!

Poofy Face! What a doll!! :love Yeah, based on her feather coloration, I'm pretty sure she's all pullet. :) Check out those GREEN legs!!

Poofy Face.jpg
Poofy Face face.jpg

Brownie-Bite. I didn't get a SINGLE picture of her that turned out any good without me having to hold her in place! I spent about 20 minutes fighting with her just to get these! :th Oh, gender guess, I have no reason to think she's anything but a pullet, either. :)

Brownie bit.jpg
Brownie face.jpg

SIGH... This is where I'm sort of displeased, though it's nothing I didn't expect with straight run bantams...

Poofy Twin. Black chest, plus red coming in in the shoulder... Classic cockerel coloration. :hmm No doubts in my mind that this one's a fella.

Poofy Twin.jpg
Poofy Twin face.jpg

Silvery. Feather pattern doesn't totally scream cockerel, but that tint of pink in the comb kind of does... I'd call myself maybe 70% sure on this one being a cockerel, too. :barnie

Silvery.jpg
Silvery face.jpg

So... Let's just say it's a good thing I went for some sexed pullets in this batch. And also that I'm REEEEALLY hoping that Bluie or Greenie turns out to be a pullet. :fl

Anyway... I hope I don't wake up and regret my sleep-deprived rambles here. :p Good night, y'all, and feel free to disagree on my assessment of these babies! ;)

Oh my word, I forgot to post the EE babies' pictures, too! :th Luckily, I'm still up finishing my mom's Mother's Day gift (no-bake orange cream cheesecake :drool ) and since I have some time (waiting on the topping to set), I quickly cropped their pictures to post. Okay, it's after midnight here, but it's still the 11th somewhere, right? :p

These babies are 3 weeks old, there around. :love I have some tentative guesses on most of them as far as their sex. I'll include those with their pictures where applicable. :) As for names... I had decided last week that at least the pullets would be named by today, but, well, long story short it didn't happen. I keep sitting with them and scrolling through names, 'test-driving' them, and then deciding against them. I have some strong contenders for the girls' names that I grabbed while at my computer, which I'll be testing on them tomorrow during their socialization time. We'll see, huh? A large part of the rest of them not being named is, well, my current gender guesses. :hmm You'll see, here:

Starting with the home-hatchers in hatch order, here is B2, nickname 'Bluie'. She's much smaller than the other two, but man, that comb has been huge since she emerged from the shell! Still, it has remained pretty flat despite how wide it is... Guess: unsure.

View attachment 1772345 View attachment 1772346

G1, Tank, the Cochin mix. His comb has taken on a lovely hint of pink and is already starting to grow. Also, he's HUGE and those feet could probably hold up a tank, big as they are in person! Guess: Cockerel, and I'm pretty sure of that.

View attachment 1772350 View attachment 1772349

G2, nickname Greenie, who is about the size of Tank now. No comb development, but that can be written off as her Silkie half in action. There is a hint of reddishness coming in on those shoulders, though... Guess: unsure.

View attachment 1772352 View attachment 1772351

The Meyer Easter-eggers. LET ME TELL Y'ALL, I will NEVER complain about the OEGB babies not cooperating for their pictures anymore!! Poofy was a perfect angel, of course, other than her need to cuddle and smush her beard against me (goodness, she's cute! :love ), but the rest of them! :barnie I was chasing them around the room, holding them in place, taking picture after picture of them moving juuust out of frame or out of focus... It was a total disaster! The following (other than Poofy) is the best I could do with them!

Poofy Face! What a doll!! :love Yeah, based on her feather coloration, I'm pretty sure she's all pullet. :) Check out those GREEN legs!!

View attachment 1772354 View attachment 1772353

Brownie-Bite. I didn't get a SINGLE picture of her that turned out any good without me having to hold her in place! I spent about 20 minutes fighting with her just to get these! :th Oh, gender guess, I have no reason to think she's anything but a pullet, either. :)

View attachment 1772347 View attachment 1772348

SIGH... This is where I'm sort of displeased, though it's nothing I didn't expect with straight run bantams...

Poofy Twin. Black chest, plus red coming in in the shoulder... Classic cockerel coloration. :hmm No doubts in my mind that this one's a fella.

View attachment 1772356 View attachment 1772355

Silvery. Feather pattern doesn't totally scream cockerel, but that tint of pink in the comb kind of does... I'd call myself maybe 70% sure on this one being a cockerel, too. :barnie

View attachment 1772358 View attachment 1772357

So... Let's just say it's a good thing I went for some sexed pullets in this batch. And also that I'm REEEEALLY hoping that Bluie or Greenie turns out to be a pullet. :fl

Anyway... I hope I don't wake up and regret my sleep-deprived rambles here. :p Good night, y'all, and feel free to disagree on my assessment of these babies! ;)
EEs are very cute!

It can be harder with them since they have odd combs. Usually the wattles and red on the shoulders or not is a sign

Yeah, that's part of the fun with Easter-eggers... And add some Silkie genetics to the mix and you have the most impossible to sex birds ever. Yaaaay. :lol: Still holding out hope on those Silkie mixes, though. :fl Statistically, one of them has to be a pullet, right? :p

I think I may have one of the Easter-egger pullets named as of today. Going with the theme of the OEGBs, who are named after stars, my plan is to name the EEs after moons, as I mentioned. Well, as I found out when looking up the names of natural satellites, I'd already used a lot of names from Uranus's moons because part of them are named after Shakespearean characters and I guess I like those types of names in general. :p Anyway, I had hesitated to use this name because of how many of Uranus's moons I'd already inadvertently named birds after, but... After a lot of agonizing, I've just had to accept that this name 'clicked' with her in my mind and I don't think there's any changing it.

So, the honorable Miss Poofy Face shall hereby be known as... Ophelia! :love

Still working on Brownie-Bite's 'real' name, but I'm sure it'll come to me eventually. :)

Yeah, that's part of the fun with Easter-eggers... And add some Silkie genetics to the mix and you have the most impossible to sex birds ever. Yaaaay. :lol: Still holding out hope on those Silkie mixes, though. :fl Statistically, one of them has to be a pullet, right? :p

I think I may have one of the Easter-egger pullets named as of today. Going with the theme of the OEGBs, who are named after stars, my plan is to name the EEs after moons, as I mentioned. Well, as I found out when looking up the names of natural satellites, I'd already used a lot of names from Uranus's moons because part of them are named after Shakespearean characters and I guess I like those types of names in general. :p Anyway, I had hesitated to use this name because of how many of Uranus's moons I'd already inadvertently named birds after, but... After a lot of agonizing, I've just had to accept that this name 'clicked' with her in my mind and I don't think there's any changing it.

So, the honorable Miss Poofy Face shall hereby be known as... Ophelia! :love

Still working on Brownie-Bite's 'real' name, but I'm sure it'll come to me eventually. :)
It is a lot of fun figuring out names!

Back
Top Bottom