Pipd's Peeps!

Hello! Checking in after another absence! :oops: Nothing much going on here (well... maybe a bit... ;) I'll put that at the end) just waiting on the weather to stink less so that we can work on some things like getting babies outside. Elly is doing remarkably well, and the babies are growing like weeds and turning so round. :love I mostly wanted to check in with their pictures, both today's and last week's. Whoops! Anyway, last week, when they were 5 weeks (except EHAL peep-peep, who's a week younger), the weather was nice and they were outside. They've been outside twice since, and otherwise it's been nothing but RAIN. :barnie So their 6-week pictures are in the brooder, which is getting to be kind of cramped at this point, but the section of the coop I usually used for transitioning babies to the outside has three OEGB boys in it because their coop is delayed by weather. It's a whole thing. :p

So, long story short, how about some pictures? :D First, their 5-week pictures (4-week for the EHAL peep-peep) from a week ago:

Green band baby:

View attachment 2142587

Purple band baby:

View attachment 2142590

Red band baby:

View attachment 2142592

Recessive white baby:

View attachment 2142594

EHAL peep-peep:

View attachment 2142585

And some extras from that day:

Peep-peep keeping watch while the feather-duster squad pecked at something :love

View attachment 2142573

I swear, this little dude is so photogenic! :love :love

View attachment 2142578View attachment 2142583

Green band baby? Not so much. :gig

View attachment 2142586

Purple band baby's pretty green baby eyes :love

View attachment 2142588

She was getting so round at this point--you should see her now! :D

View attachment 2142589

Red band baby worrying about something (with a bit of a photobomb by green band baby)

View attachment 2142591

RW baby and purple band baby 😍

View attachment 2142593

RW baby has such sweet expressions ❤

View attachment 2142595

Now, TODAY's pictures! Again, they're 6 weeks old today with the exception of the EHAL peep-peep, who's 5 weeks old.

Green band baby. So, pretty safe to say he's a boy at this point. :D

View attachment 2142600

Purple band baby who is SO ROUND! 😍 I'm pretty sure she's a pullet.

View attachment 2142602

Red band baby, who loves sitting on my lap. :love I go back and forth on her still. Sometimes, I'm sure she's a pullet, and other times I start questioning that. So, not sure here. :lol:

View attachment 2142605

Recessive white baby. I thought she was a cockerel in my last post, but I go back and forth on her, too, now, so again not sure. However, I did name her this week and it works male or female, so. :D She started out a little, yellowish chick and turned into a white puffball, which reminded me so much of a dandelion that that's what I've been calling her: Dandelion. Dandy for short. ❤

View attachment 2142607

EHAL peep-peep, still so photogenic :love Yeah, I've known he's a fella for a while, but boy that comb sure erases any doubt!

View attachment 2142596

A few extras from today as well. First, I took close-ups of everyone's face today. However, red and green band babies were out of focus, come to find out. 😩 So, I tried. Anyway, face close-ups:

Green band:

View attachment 2142601

Purple band baby. Those eyes! 😍

View attachment 2142603

Red band baby being a derp :lol:

View attachment 2142606

Dandy and her sweet face :love

View attachment 2142608

Mr. Photogenic with his new moehawk 😲

View attachment 2142598

And the rest of the pics. Ugh, this handsome little squirt! His one extra toe is kind of vaguely visible here:

View attachment 2142597

Purple band baby, shortly before takeoff :lol:

View attachment 2142604

Peep-peep on his favorite perch. :rolleyes: Doesn't he look so innocent?

View attachment 2142599

Okay, and that's it for the kiddos! Last thing worth mentioning is... I set 10 eggs today!! :D 6 OEGB eggs and 4 eggs from Abra with Winter, so EHAL Peep-peep would be their older brother. :love Can't wait until it's time to candle them! :wee

Gosh, I hope that's it... :th Good night, all!
They are so cute!

And, surprise, surprise! If there was any doubt on green band being a boy, he decided it was time to quash that this morning with his very first crows! Goodness, I just love baby crows when I'm trying to sleep. :gig Sorry for the terrible lighting; it was early and the curtains were still closed.

First crows are so funny!

First crows are so funny!

They sure are :love It wasn't too bad of an effort, either, for a first try. :D

I set 10 eggs today!! :D 6 OEGB eggs and 4 eggs from Abra with Winter, so EHAL Peep-peep would be their older brother. :love

Small correction here... :oops: Sybil and Abra both laid eggs today, so it's 12; 7 OEGB and 5 Silkie x Cochin mix. I don't want too much of a stagger in this hatch, so that's it!

Hello, all! Checking in with a video that I took this morning and promptly forgot about. :oops: Yep, now EHAL Peep-Peep has declared his manhood, too! Two crowing cockerels, oh joy! :p I'm feeling safer with saying that the other three are all pullets now. No names other than Dandy yet, but I've been actively looking. :)

Anyway, that video! Terrible lighting again because it was early still.

And in other news, yesterday was my dear Elly's 6th hatchday!!
happy birthday.gif
I didn't have the supplies on hand until today, so her party will be tomorrow afternoon! I'm pretty excited--this is the first time in a few years that I've actually had plenty of free time to have a proper chicken hatchday party! :D Be ready for pictures!!

Hello, all! Checking in with a video that I took this morning and promptly forgot about. :oops: Yep, now EHAL Peep-Peep has declared his manhood, too! Two crowing cockerels, oh joy! :p I'm feeling safer with saying that the other three are all pullets now. No names other than Dandy yet, but I've been actively looking. :)

Anyway, that video! Terrible lighting again because it was early still.

And in other news, yesterday was my dear Elly's 6th hatchday!! View attachment 2151309 I didn't have the supplies on hand until today, so her party will be tomorrow afternoon! I'm pretty excited--this is the first time in a few years that I've actually had plenty of free time to have a proper chicken hatchday party! :D Be ready for pictures!!
I hope you have a nice Birthday party!

Enjoy the new crowing cockerels!

Happy (belated) Hatchday, Elly! ❤ So, it kind of was a disaster, because it was drizzly off and on, and then I forgot to bring my camera chip out with me to take pictures when I let Elly start on her cake
facepalm head shake.gif
Ugh! But all and all, I think the girls enjoyed themselves, and that's what's important. :love

First, the hatchday girl, my Elda! ❤ Love this girl!

hatchday girl elda.jpg

And the 'cakes'. As usual, these are hollowed out watermelon halves with diced veggies and watermelon pieces inside, with a little bit of plain yogurt as icing and cucumber letters. I used the seeds from the bell pepper as 'sprinkles', too. :D

hatchday cake 1.jpg
hatchday cake 2.jpg

Here's Elly getting the... I don't know, twelfth bite of her 'cake', after I let her in, realized my camera chip was still inside, and ran inside to grab it. :lol: Oops!

Elly eating cake.jpg

I think she liked it. :D

Elly enjoying her cake.jpg

Party crashers! :D

party crashers.jpg

let them eat cake.jpg
let them eat cake 2.jpg

Elly checked out the party favors before I handed them out (to the roosters :p ). She taste tested the one she's looking at in this picture, too.

party favors.jpg

I put the party favors in the fence like this for the two rooster flocks to share with some of the hens, but those naughty boys took them all for themselves not long after I took the pictures. (The big fellas' pictures didn't come out clearly, so all I got was Russell and Roscoe, here :hmm )

silkied cochin boys.jpg

And that's it! :D The girls were nice and full at roost time and the party favors for the boys had completely disappeared, so I guess they liked their part, too.

Last little tidbit since I'm posting. Y'all know I can't help myself, so... I took a peek at the eggs. :oops: 10 / 12 are developing! :D The two that are clear (so far?) were Sybil's first two eggs of the year, so not a huge surprise that they aren't fertilized. 10 potential new babies!! :wee

Last edited:
The babies are another week older already, so more pictures today! :D It rained most of the day, so they didn't get to go out until late afternoon / early evening, and got their first chance to play in mud. Which Dandy did. :rolleyes: This picture doesn't make it seem so bad, but her front was caked in mud.

Dandelion muddy baby.jpg

Anyway, weekly pictures. As always, EHAL Peep-peep is a week younger, 6 weeks old, while the rest are 7 weeks old.

Dandelion comes first in my files now, alphabetically :eek:

Dandelion.jpg

EHAL Peep-peep. I jokingly called him Buzz today because he was after a big ol' bumble bee, but you know what, I actually kind of like that. :p We'll see after some use of it if that name's going to stick.

EHAL Peep-peep.jpg

Green band boy, who's always so tall in his pictures. :lol:

Green band.jpg

Purple band baby and her sweet face ❤

Purple band.jpg

Red band baby, little bright eyes 😍

Red band.jpg

And the rest of the pictures from their outing. Here's Peep-peep hiding in the grass. :gig He's a natural.

EHAL Peep-peep hidden.jpg

Dandy having a dust bath in the mud with the other two (hopefully) girls while Mr. Peep-peep kept watch:

Peep-peep lookout.jpg

Dandy and red band baby spent most of their time out there doing this. :rolleyes: Silly babies!

Red band and Dandy pile.jpg

Lastly, Dandelion checking out her namesake. :love

Dandelion and dandelion.jpg

The babies are another week older already, so more pictures today! :D It rained most of the day, so they didn't get to go out until late afternoon / early evening, and got their first chance to play in mud. Which Dandy did. :rolleyes: This picture doesn't make it seem so bad, but her front was caked in mud.

View attachment 2154803

Anyway, weekly pictures. As always, EHAL Peep-peep is a week younger, 6 weeks old, while the rest are 7 weeks old.

Dandelion comes first in my files now, alphabetically :eek:

View attachment 2154804

EHAL Peep-peep. I jokingly called him Buzz today because he was after a big ol' bumble bee, but you know what, I actually kind of like that. :p We'll see after some use of it if that name's going to stick.

View attachment 2154806

Green band boy, who's always so tall in his pictures. :lol:

View attachment 2154807

Purple band baby and her sweet face ❤

View attachment 2154809

Red band baby, little bright eyes 😍

View attachment 2154811

And the rest of the pictures from their outing. Here's Peep-peep hiding in the grass. :gig He's a natural.

View attachment 2154805

Dandy having a dust bath in the mud with the other two (hopefully) girls while Mr. Peep-peep kept watch:

View attachment 2154808

Dandy and red band baby spent most of their time out there doing this. :rolleyes: Silly babies!

View attachment 2154810

Lastly, Dandelion checking out her namesake. :love

View attachment 2154802
Those are some fluffy chicks!

Hello! I have pictures! A few days late, but pictures nonetheless, right? :oops: I did take them on Friday at the next-week-old mark (7 weeks for the EHAL baby and 8 weeks for the silkied Cochins), so there is that! I sort of hesitated to post because I felt like I was so close to coming up with names for all of them that I wanted to make it an announcement post as well, so I was holding out. Welp. I was close. Just one isn't named yet. :p Close enough! They all sort of relate to flowers, which was unintentional, but I like it. 😁

Our unnamed chick is Mr. Green Band, the black silkied Cochin bantam cockerel. I was close to naming him Jack, as in Jack-in-the-Pulpit, but also as in jack, err, butt because he's been a bit of a jack, err, butt lately. :gig But, I didn't feel like it fit him well, so Mr. Green Band it is until something else occurs to me.

Green band.jpg

EHAL baby is officially named Buzz. Yup, I liked it for him! :p How does that relate to flowers? Well, he did get that name for chasing a bee, so close enough. :D

Buzz.jpg

Dandelion, of course, is still Dandelion. :D

Dandelion.jpg

The last two, I'm pretty sure at this point, are pullets, so introducing Myrtle, previously purple band baby:

Myrtle.jpg

And red band baby, my April Fool's baby. I really, REALLY wanted to name her something to do with her hatch date, but just nothing came to me. So, instead, meet Zinnia. :love

Zinnia.jpg

Some more pictures from Friday. One big ol' pile of fuzzballs trying to dust bathe on hard, damp dirt. :rolleyes:

dust bath pile.jpg

Elly meeting the babies :love

Elly and babies.jpg

Myrtle being a cutie 😍

Myrtle cutie.jpg

Myrtle and Mr. Green Band having a staring contest, I guess? :p

staring contest.jpg

These are some very serious peep-peeps. 😯

very serious peep peeps.jpg

Zinni :love :love :love That face!

Zinni being cute.jpg

Interesting development on Dandy. She seems to be recessive white, but has grown a black feather in on the side of the neck. You can see it here:

Dandy black feather.jpg

And that's it for pictures. 😌

As for the eggs in the incubator, they go into lockdown tomorrow :eek: All looks well with the 10 that were developing at my last post about them (I took another peek tonight :oops: ) and they're right on track, maybe a bit on the small side for air cells, so here's hoping for a good hatch! :fl

Hello! I have pictures! A few days late, but pictures nonetheless, right? :oops: I did take them on Friday at the next-week-old mark (7 weeks for the EHAL baby and 8 weeks for the silkied Cochins), so there is that! I sort of hesitated to post because I felt like I was so close to coming up with names for all of them that I wanted to make it an announcement post as well, so I was holding out. Welp. I was close. Just one isn't named yet. :p Close enough! They all sort of relate to flowers, which was unintentional, but I like it. 😁

Our unnamed chick is Mr. Green Band, the black silkied Cochin bantam cockerel. I was close to naming him Jack, as in Jack-in-the-Pulpit, but also as in jack, err, butt because he's been a bit of a jack, err, butt lately. :gig But, I didn't feel like it fit him well, so Mr. Green Band it is until something else occurs to me.

View attachment 2172431

EHAL baby is officially named Buzz. Yup, I liked it for him! :p How does that relate to flowers? Well, he did get that name for chasing a bee, so close enough. :D

View attachment 2172424

Dandelion, of course, is still Dandelion. :D

View attachment 2172425

The last two, I'm pretty sure at this point, are pullets, so introducing Myrtle, previously purple band baby:

View attachment 2172433

And red band baby, my April Fool's baby. I really, REALLY wanted to name her something to do with her hatch date, but just nothing came to me. So, instead, meet Zinnia. :love

View attachment 2172437

Some more pictures from Friday. One big ol' pile of fuzzballs trying to dust bathe on hard, damp dirt. :rolleyes:

View attachment 2172429

Elly meeting the babies :love

View attachment 2172430

Myrtle being a cutie 😍

View attachment 2172432

Myrtle and Mr. Green Band having a staring contest, I guess? :p

View attachment 2172434

These are some very serious peep-peeps. 😯

View attachment 2172435

Zinni :love :love :love That face!

View attachment 2172436

Interesting development on Dandy. She seems to be recessive white, but has grown a black feather in on the side of the neck. You can see it here:

View attachment 2172428

And that's it for pictures. 😌

As for the eggs in the incubator, they go into lockdown tomorrow :eek: All looks well with the 10 that were developing at my last post about them (I took another peek tonight :oops: ) and they're right on track, maybe a bit on the small side for air cells, so here's hoping for a good hatch! :fl
What a crew you have!

My advice to not worry much about the air cells

Back
Top Bottom