Pipd's Peeps!

So this afternoon I made myself an egg sandwich using one of SweatPea's last eggs. It was bittersweet because - 1) it was delicious and 2) I wanted to see if she had any egg issues. Her eggs seem a little larger than last year when she first started laying, but other than that there were no egg issues.

Also, today we rescued a dog. It looks like a young boxer mix. At first we thought it had been running loose. However, after looking at some video footage, we saw people drop him off and take off. Kind of bold if you ask me since the drop off was close enough to get video footage. That they stopped and dropped him off makes me so mad. He is such a sweet dog. Who would do that? :mad: We contacted the local rescue so he will be warm and comfy. My husband really liked him and he seemed like a man's dog judging by his reactions to my husband and to the rescue guy. I'm sure he will find the best home.

Aww, well I'm glad the sandwich was good! It's normal for their eggs to increase in size the longer they lay. Old, old, old hens like some of mine can make some huge eggs, but of course the same amount of materials go into them as before, so their shells are generally much weaker from being spread further. It's especially noticeable between their very first eggs and eggs laid even later the same year, though.

How brazen! Did you happen to catch a license plate on your camera? I'd be making a police report against those horrid people! :rant It might be worth it to make a report even without the license plate and just with what you can see of a description and color / make of the car in case it happens again. Luckily you rescued the dog before he ended up hit on the road or shot for getting into someone's livestock pen or something!

So, my husband didn't want me to report it because - we saw it like I explained above, but some of it was grainy. His thinking is the dog could have been there before they stopped and the camera didn't pick him up until the truck was in the picture. I am wanting to report them - at least to the shelter. But, I see where he is coming from.

Also, today Freckles gets a new home. They are aware of his attitude. They have a lot of chickens for him and a larger area. Of course maybe that's just their story and they are planning a 🍴🍲🐓? 🙃

Ah, I see. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation then. Is it worth making a police report about a dumped dog if you don't know who dumped it? 🤔

Freckles is your Polish rooster? Glad you finally got some interest! A lot of people in the area do seem to think human aggression = predator aggression in roosters, so it's entirely likely they are wanting him as a flock rooster. But, even if they do eat him... that saves you the trouble of processing him, right? 😅

Ah, I see. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation then. Is it worth making a police report about a dumped dog if you don't know who dumped it? 🤔

Freckles is your Polish rooster? Glad you finally got some interest! A lot of people in the area do seem to think human aggression = predator aggression in roosters, so it's entirely likely they are wanting him as a flock rooster. But, even if they do eat him... that saves you the trouble of processing him, right? 😅
Exactly!
If I had more girls, I might have kept him as well. Not for flock protection, but because I think he isn't that bad. Maybe if he had extra room plus extra girls, he'd have no time for me. :gig I'm a little bummed. But, I hope this helps Maizie and she gets back to her old self. I checked them all over really well last night. They all look really good. Except, my brahma had a piece of hard poo. I pulled at it and it was attached to skin. :sick
I feel like I'm taking over your thread again. How's it going over your way?

Nah, you're fine! I don't have a lot going on with my flock right now anyway, so we might as well talk about yours. 😁 I was going to spend this nice, sunny day putting some fence up to give the girls a bit more space / sort of a free range area and maybe do some more pen cleanings, but I got stung on the palm of my hand by a wasp so I'm basically one-handed now. I went to move something out of my way and didn't even see it until it got me. 😩 I haven't taken the babies' 3-week pictures yet, either, and I also had plans to make a cheesecake for my mom tonight so that it would be ready tomorrow for Mother's Day, but I guess I'll have to wait and hope my hand feels better in the morning to get all these things done. Darn!

Ouch. Wasp stings are the worst. Hope your hand feels better soon. Did it swell up?
I had plans today too regarding working outdoors, but other things popped up. Some of my list got done and some of it did not.
Tomorrow is supposed to be nice as well, so as the saying goes ... there's always tomorrow!

Guess who was on the roost last night? Maizie! :celebrate
I bet she's just has such a timid personality and he was too overbearing for my good girl flock. I know the only ones keeping him in line were the australorps.
Today is going to be nice. I'm going to do as much as possible outside.
Have a good day! Hope your hand feels better!

It swelled, yeah, but not huge, just puffy. It got me about an inch below my pointer finger on my palm, and I could feel it in the joints on my thumb, pointer, and middle fingers, almost like when your fingers get too cold and kinda puff out so they don't bend quite all the way. The swelling's gone down quite a bit now, though, and it's mostly just sore and a little achy all the way up my arm.

Yeah, it is nice out today, too! I don't think I'm going to mess with fence yet because of the soreness, but I can definitely get pictures of the babies and bake a cheesecake today! 😊

Back
Top Bottom