Pipd's Peeps!

This morning when I let them out of their crate, they lined up at the door in the corner where I put the food. 😂 Last night they had already tucked themselves into the crate by the time I got out to check on them. I put a roost in there, but either they can't see it or they dont like it. But, they sure are quick learners!

Darlings! :love They may just feel more safe huddled in the crate for now, it's still a new environment for them after all! You can always perch train them later, though, by simply moving them to their perches for the night, a little after dark so they stay where they're put. It can take some patience, but they usually figure it out eventually. 🙂

I feel like I'm taking over your thread, but today the little rolly poly guy tidbitted for me when I came in at lunch time to give them fresh water. (They don't have a heated waterer and with the temps, it freezes fast.) I thought it might just have been a coincidence, but then this evening when I was tucking them in, he came out of the crate and kept doing it. He wouldn't get his little fluffster back in the crate!
Really I think he has figured out that I bring treats when I come in. Not a lot just a tiny bit of corn and some black fly larva and only in the morning.
Had to win them over somehow. 😁

You're fine! There's not a whole lot going on with my flock at the moment anyway, so at least there are some posts happening here! 🙂

Sounds like the little guy has figured out where the treats come from! 😁 A few of mine are like that, too, like they're trying to lay claim to finding the goodies except I haven't even put them down yet!

On my flock, I have been debating the timing on moving some of my silkied Cochins (Gus's group and most of the pullets, specifically) to the empty coop... I think today might be the most ideal time to do so, as it'll give them a few days of snow on the ground still to get used to being in that pen together without free-ranging. I hesitate only because of how far away that coop is, but I have nowhere else that's ideal for housing them to keep them purebred. I'm sure they'll be fine out there, I just worry too much. I also worry about Freia, who roosts with the silkied pullets every night, but she doesn't really committedly hang out with them otherwise so I guess she'll probably be fine... Just that all her buddies will be gone all of the sudden and I feel bad. 😅 I'm really not cut out for this whole chicken breeding business, I guess.

Well... That didn't go as planned. :th

My thought was that I would move the pullets first, give them the upper hand on things because I know that Myrtle specifically can be pretty wicked. Then I would move Gus, let him figure things out with the pullets and let them schmooze so that Gussy would maybe offer some protection from Myrtle once she came along. Then lastly, Myrtle and Zinnia would go out and I'd let them figure out their new pecking order with Gus to intervene if the fighting got too bad.

How it actually went is like this. I moved the pullets first as planned. They were confused, but seemed okay, and Freia back at the coop seems okay. Then I brought Gus out there. Athena and Ottilie immediately were like, okay, this is a rooster, we're cool with that. Inara and Boba were downright offended that Gus existed. Immediately, they were in a knock-down-drag-out, kicking and flapping and grabbing onto each other's combs. I grabbed Boba so that Gus would not be outnumbered. Too late, he was already thrown off and couldn't get any headway with Inara. Grabbed Nara and put Boba back down. Same deal. The poor guy was being pummeled by these pullets!

So, change of plans! I grabbed Gus and closed him in their new coop so that he wasn't beaten up on while I went to get Myrtle and Zinnia. I figured they would knock some sense into those two naughty pullets and then Gus could sweep in and things would smooth out. (Gus, of course, sat in the coop and chirped about all the great things he was finding in there I guess. :rolleyes: )

Myrtle and Zinni hit the ground in the pen. Things are tense. Once again, Athena and Ottilie are like, oh crap, they look tough, we're outta here. Nara and Boba, immediately back into fighting. Zinni is not much of a fighter, so she immediately backed down. Myrtle, she fought for a bit.. and then SHE backed down, too! These two pullets are absolute tyrants!

Thinking maybe Gus being there would give Myrtle a little more courage, I let him out of the coop. Nope! Those two pullets were not going to give up and poor Gus was struggling. At that point, I did a hail Mary; I've got to get these birds to chill out and live together! I grabbed Boba up, grabbed Nara's feet so she couldn't fight, and let Gus peck at her until she finally, finally conceded. Then I did the same for Boba.

So FINALLY things are calm out there. Gus lunged at the pullets for good measure a couple times while I was still out there keeping an eye on things, and none of them put up a fight. Looks like we're good finally. PHEW! :th There are two feeders and two water dishes, so they should be okay and everyone should be able to eat and drink as needed. Last step will be helping the pullets figure out that the coop is a safe place to go and not scary. Baby steps!

I was on the edge of my seat reading that. :pop Best laid plans .... Gus was probably chirping because he was in the safety zone. :gig

Sounds like the little guy has figured out where the treats come from! 😁 A few of mine are like that, too, like they're trying to lay claim to finding the goodies except I haven't even put them down yet!
Oh my goodness, yes that is exactly what he's doing!
What a turd. :D

Wish I had had my phone on me to take a picture of them tonight! Gus is perched with all four of the pullets smushed up against him on both sides. Myrtle and Zinnia couldn't figure out the new roost I guess, so they were nestled down in the corner. I helped them out so everyone is nice and snug together. :love

Oh, and Athena dropped an egg off the roost right in front of me as I stepped into their coop. :th Silly girl!

Ah, man, I screwed up. I was distracted with the big coop move yesterday and didn't think anything of it when I heard flapping in the pen split between Jack and Winston last night. When I shined my flashlight over there from up the hill, it just looked like Jack was standing in front of his roost so I assumed he jumped and missed, and that's what the flapping was. I didn't look any closer, I should have looked closer.

As it turns out, he had somehow gotten his spur hooked in the fencing between him and Winston and was hanging there all night. I found him this morning when I opened the door to give them water. He's alive and eating and drinking, but the foot that was hooked in the fencing is frozen solid. I feel horrible. I've brought him inside to warm up, but I imagine he'll lose most or all of that foot, poor guy. :( Here's hoping he's able to pull through and do okay with one foot.

Editing for a picture. My poor guy. :(

1675433645768.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom