Pipd's Peeps!

Okay, definitely OEGBs! I wonder if it might be a golden duckwing, then? 🤔

Oh my goodness, you're going to be swimming in peeps! :th Those Blue Columbian Brahmas and Blue Brassy Back Rosecombs, though... :drool

Dang, maybe I need to look into some of those eggs! 🤣

On the topic of eggs... Is it candling day yet?? View attachment 3801937
One of the eggs I got for the Crevecoeur is huge!

Also yes candle. I candled at 5 days and only had development in two silkie eggs and none of the Crevecoeur eggs. It was day 8 candleing that showed the best. So glad I left them all in after that first candle.

Haha, I suppose I could candle them, but the eggs have been in the incubator for less than 24 hours at this point so I doubt I'd see anything yet. I just have a problem with wanting to candle immediately 🤣
Happy Jump Around GIF by Chopt Creative Salad Co.

Come on eggies and get growing, get your shrimpies on so Pipd can see you!

I did see some of those this morning when I peeked! 😁 I also saw a lot more of what looked like clears than I had expected... but of course it's day 3 and I was only peeking, not thoroughly candling them, so obviously I'm still holding out that there's more going on in there than I could see :fl

It's been a tough few days here. My old man, Roscoe, has passed on.

Roscoe was one of my very first silkied Cochin bantams. I drove all the way to Chicago to pick up a trio of them back in 2016, and the person selling them had so many cockerels left after the birds I bought that she was giving them away, so I went ahead and got a second cockerel from her. That second cockerel was my Roscoe.

What a mug he had, what a tough-guy exterior. Yet he was such a well-mannered rooster with hens, and the sweetest and most gentle rooster I'd ever seen around chicks and juveniles, whether they were his own offspring or completely unrelated. Other roosters I've had over the years would avoid the chicks or stare at them as if horrified. But Roscoe, he would sit with them, he would happily show them to the food and water to help them get acquainted with their surroundings when first moving outside, and he was so patient with them, letting them poke and prod at his face while only gently objecting if they got a bit too rough with their pecks.

Roscoe and his boys 8-17-18.jpg

Peeking his head through the fence to interact with the hatchery-bought chicks back in 2021

Roscoe and the kids.jpg
Roscoe peek a boo.jpg

I had wanted to fully integrate him into the mixed flock, but he and Winter just wouldn't get along, and they'd fight and fight until Roscoe was practically blue in the face and gasping for air if I let them. That probably was an early sign of what was to come, unfortunately. For a while now, I think I mentioned a few pages back, his heart seemed to be outright failing. A few days ago on a nice, sunny, warm day, I took him out into the yard in a little pen I have set up out there for various purposes and let him get some sunshine, and he couldn't even make the short walk back to the coop that evening. I kinda knew he was fading over the past two days, so I'd been doing my best to make him as comfortable as possible until we were able to make end of life preparations for him. However, he passed on in his sleep last night, thankfully looking fairly peaceful at least. I'm sure gonna miss the old man.

Roscoe.jpg

Last edited:
Weekend after the coming one is my hatch day. Will be setting eggs again in 3 days from today. That's how long I've been resting my shipped eggs before starting them.

:fl for the shipped eggs!

Mine will be hatching the weekend after yours from the sounds of it. I've got another batch of eggs I've been gathering to set on Sunday, though, so I guess we're going to be hatching the same weekend after that! :highfive:

It's been a tough few days here. My old man, Roscoe, has passed on.

Roscoe was one of my very first silkied Cochin bantams. I drove all the way to Chicago to pick up a trio of them back in 2016, and the person selling them had so many cockerels left after the birds I bought that she was giving them away, so I went ahead and got a second cockerel from her. That second cockerel was my Roscoe.

What a mug he had, what a tough-guy exterior. Yet he was such a well-mannered rooster with hens, and the sweetest and most gentle rooster I'd ever seen around chicks and juveniles, whether they were his own offspring or completely unrelated. Other roosters I've had over the years would avoid the chicks or stare at them as if horrified. But Roscoe, he would sit with them, he would happily show them to the food and water to help them get acquainted with their surroundings when first moving outside, and he was so patient with them, letting them poke and prod at his face while only gently objecting if they got a bit too rough with their pecks.

View attachment 3804824

Peeking his head through the fence to interact with the hatchery-bought chicks back in 2021

View attachment 3804830View attachment 3804822

I had wanted to fully integrate him into the mixed flock, but he and Winter just wouldn't get along, and they'd fight and fight until Roscoe was practically blue in the face and gasping for air if I let them. That probably was an early sign of what was to come, unfortunately. For a while now, I think I mentioned a few pages back, his heart seemed to be outright failing. A few days ago on a nice, sunny, warm day, I took him out into the yard in a little pen I have set up out there for various purposes and let him get some sunshine, and he couldn't even make the short walk back to the coop that evening. I kinda knew he was fading over the past two days, so I'd been doing my best to make him as comfortable as possible until we were able to make end of life preparations for him. However, he passed on in his sleep last night, thankfully looking fairly peaceful at least. I'm sure gonna miss the old man.

View attachment 3804831
I'm so sorry for your loss, what a special guy :hugs thanks for sharing his story and photos with us ❤

Back
Top Bottom